Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Record setting farm ground

biggest buck

Sold at auction in Shelby County two days ago just a half mile from my house. For a whopping $8900 an acre! HOLY COW. 1.375 million for 140+ acres. How can anyone make a harvest profit at that insane price.:confused:

These numbers are becoming common for productive farms. On the other side of the table any recreation portion of these properties are get minor contributary value by appraisers.

There is a lot more than CSR ratings behind some of these sales. Around my area the big hog confinement owners will pay a premium for land. The more pigs they raise the more land they need to spread manure. I also know a couple of farmers who have scrimped and saved and farmed with older equipment until they are debt free. These guys have the cash and buy more land every year.

Had a farmer in the other day has an 80 acre field all tilliable that some guy wanted and offered him 10K/acre. ???? Crazy what dirt goes for.

Been saying this is nuts for several years and this will fall in. When it does and it will ,watch out all this borrrowed money farm prices will hit bottom like the 70s taking crop prices and investers with it. The only thing right now that is holding this front up is low interest rates.

Went to an auction in Jasper county that went for 9,000/acre for 100 acres. It was strictly farm ground. I heard of another around Grundy Center that supposedly went for 13,000/acre.

I hope there is an end in sight somewhere.

mole

I echo what Iron wood said in that rec ground STILL continues to appraise at "maybe" 2000/acre, in many cases, at least around here, 1800/acre.

Seems like apples and oranges but I know many are willing to pay $WAY more for quality hunting ground.

recently had a farm by me go up for sale. 150acres for 450,000. All rec ground with 13 acres of HEL listed as the only tillable. It is waaaay over priced. It consists of about 30 acres of very thick cedars with the rest being primarily a timbered ridge. I imagine this one will be on the market awhile.

The farm land prices will hold steady as long as the ethanol boom is going on in my mind. We are going to have a record corn crop to meet the needs of the ethanol as well as food. With so much corn guranteed to ethanol companies, not much is left for food for cattle and human use. This means corn prices are going to keep on the up and up along with meat prices. That is my thoughts on it

With the crop prices, why do farmers compalin about deer? Maybe there are some poor farmers/ small operations,,but the ones I know are doing very well,,and I mean VERY WELL!

With the crop prices, why do farmers compalin about deer?

If you think about it, when corn is 3 bucks a bushel and deer demolish an acre, at lets say 150 bushel to the acre, thats 450 bucks outta their pocket... now if the deer does the same and the market is at 6.50 thats 975 bucks outta his pocket.... regardless of how well your doing, no one wants money takin outta there pocket, and as the amount of money increases its liked even less....

Besides ask any farmer, they're all poor!! :grin:

Farm ground

Been saying this is nuts for several years and this will fall in. When it does and it will ,watch out all this borrrowed money farm prices will hit bottom like the 70s taking crop prices and investers with it. The only thing right now that is holding this front up is low interest rates.

Windwalker: I agree that it will happen...three things are keeping it from happening right now...Like you said (interest rates are low) the other two are...world wide demand and ethanol.

Someday we will not use corn or soybeans for ethanol, matter of fact right now in MN, there is a company (EverCat Fuels) that is producing ethanol from all different types of foodstocks (they can use corn stalks, switchgrass, algae, wood). They have the technology to produce it right on the farm. Check out their website, it is amazing.

World wide demand, not sure when or if that slows down, that is why I bought a farm in Iowa, but I did not pay $8000 per acre, and never would.

Farm land will always be valuable, but it will have it's highs and lows.

The thing is, the farmers cant complain if deer eat some corn...they never had the money in there pocket to begin with...haha, thats just simply a joke...

The farm land prices will hold steady as long as the ethanol boom is going on in my mind. We are going to have a record corn crop to meet the needs of the ethanol as well as food. With so much corn guranteed to ethanol companies, not much is left for food for cattle and human use. This means corn prices are going to keep on the up and up along with meat prices. That is my thoughts on it

I dont have the exact numbers, but I think more is being shipped overseas vs going to ethanol. As long as the world population continues to grow and other countries dont produce enough to support themselves I don't see an end to the prices.

Sposedly my grandpa got offered $4800/acre on his 220 acre farm. Should of sold it and bought a real deer farm LOL. He doesn't hunt though.

Farmland breaks county record

Tuesday, February 8, 2011
By Magdalene Landegent
A land sale in rural Le Mars broke the record for Plymouth County farmland prices.
On Friday, 80 acres southeast of Le Mars sold for $10,000 an acre.
Auctioneer Bruce Brock said he thought the land might go for a high price.
"That's the way land has been going," he said. "It's a very nice piece of farmland."
The prior Plymouth County land price record was $9,450 from a sale near Remsen in November.
The land was owned by the heirs of Laura Lauters, Brock said.
One of Lauters' nephews, in Florida, remembered that the land was purchased in the late 1930s or early 1940s for about $100 to $125 per acre.
"If it was $125 an acre for 80 acres, that would be $10,000 for the entire farm, and now each acre brought that," Brock said.
The 80 acres are situated 2 1/2 miles east of Le Mars and 1 mile south, in American Township.
Plymouth County farmers Jeff Freking and Randy Freking made the $800,000 land purchase.

This a great point you left out the cost of groceries as well because about everything we consume has corn in it. I don't know if ethanol is everything it's cracked up to be I know that in my vehicle I don't get as good of mileage out of it so it's kind of a wash I do burn it though. I don't know the exact amount of trucks of corn the ethanol plant by me goes through a day but it's a bunch they usually pay top dollar for it so naturally most producers sell there driving the prices up at the elevators which in turn drives the price up for the companies that buy it for food. Farmers are making a ton of money right now which I have no problem with but when our tax dollars are going to subsidies and paying them to farm more ground it sort of bothers me. With $6 corn don't expect to see prices fall anytime soon.

Farmers are making a ton of money right now which I have no problem with but when our tax dollars are going to subsidies and paying them to farm more ground it sort of bothers me. With $6 corn don't expect to see prices fall anytime soon.

This is an absolute joke, I wish we'd get some politicians with a backbone, who'd get rid of the abomination that is subsidized ethanol.

Top Bottom