Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recovering deer

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

Ok I have a question. I hunt some land that is next to another piece that has no hunting or trespassing without written permission. So my problem is I shot a nice doe she jumped resulting in a bad shot. So I waited it out and tracked her today. I ran into a problem. She jumped our fence ran across the road and into another field of tress. Am I allowed to go track my deer being it is posted all over no trespassing? And didn't find my arrow still in her I'm assuming since I walked my land where she ran and found nothing.

You can legally recover your deer. You cannot carry a weapon but you can legally track your wounded animal.
Ive never had to leave the property i was hunting but if i did i would contact the landowner and let them know about it, i would expect them to do the same if the roles were reversed. Just commin courtesy.
I would feel bad if i ruined someones hunt or had my picture taken on a trail cam or something and all along they thought they had a trespasser when it could all be cleared up with a simple phone call, he may even help you recover it.
Ive heard horror stories of landowners saying "no you cant track it", in that case just call your local CO and have them come with you. Best of luck!

Iowa has a very weak law IMO in this category. I disagree with allowing people to cross properties tracking deer because it is abused. Indiana legally allows the landowner the decline permission. Now that requires the landowner to tag the animal or its a wanton waste charge IF it's visible. If not, there isn't anything you can do. While losing game is a possibility I've only had one case where a family member of friend wasn't allowed to retrieve a deer back in the early 80's that we shot. We also stopped a hunter from tracking a doe through our sanctuary a few years back. That animal traveled 300 yards after being shot by a 44 magnum with hard nose bullets. We found her after the season and she traveled another 700 yards. We felt the hunter was unethical in his hunt. He had shot two deer that morning from a ground blind facing houses across the road. We allowed recovery of the one deer(crossed our other property line and had a blood trail) that had to be finished off from a liver hit and no bullet expansion.

Iowa has a very weak law IMO in this category. I disagree with allowing people to cross properties tracking deer because it is abused. Indiana legally allows the landowner the decline permission. Now that requires the landowner to tag the animal or its a wanton waste charge IF it's visible. If not, there isn't anything you can do. While losing game is a possibility I've only had one case where a family member of friend wasn't allowed to retrieve a deer back in the early 80's that we shot. We also stopped a hunter from tracking a doe through our sanctuary a few years back. That animal traveled 300 yards after being shot by a 44 magnum with hard nose bullets. We found her after the season and she traveled another 700 yards. We felt the hunter was unethical in his hunt. He had shot two deer that morning from a ground blind facing houses across the road. We allowed recovery of the one deer(crossed our other property line and had a blood trail) that had to be finished off from a liver hit and no bullet expansion.

Wow I tend to agree with quite a few of your opinions on here but we are worlds apart on this one. If you shoot a deer on your ground there should be nothing on gods green earth including every one if your neighbors stopping you from recovering it.

You better have a bloodtrail. Too many people just wander around looking for a deer they hit, with no bloodtrail, or they will just push through the property, running all of the deer out, to the rest of the party. The law gets abused ALOT.

You better have a bloodtrail. Too many people just wander around looking for a deer they hit, with no bloodtrail, or they will just push through the property, running all of the deer out, to the rest of the party. The law gets abused ALOT.

I had a solid blood trail leading into the other property and I know to leave my bow behind. But I was afraid to get in an altercation that would not have went well. Thanks for everyone's input.

That happened to me once called the CO and he said talk to the landowner first if I could. So I knew who it was and he gave permission to go and recover the deer. I doubt the CO would come with you for a doe JMO. There is a lot of gray in that law

Assuming your hunting in Iowa, doesn't seem like to much gray area to me.

“Trespass” means entering property with- out the express permission of the owner, les- see or person in lawful possession, with the in- tent to commit a public offense; to use, remove therefrom, alter, damage, harass, or place anything animate or inanimate, or to hunt, fish or trap on the property. The term trespass does not mean entering the right-of-way of a public road or highway. Railroad right-of-ways are considered private property.
This paragraph does not prohibit the un- armed pursuit of game or furbearing animals lawfully injured or killed which come to rest on or escape to the property of another.

I would alway consult the Iowa code and/or the game warden of the area in question before acting on information from a Internet forum. I probably wouldn't even bring a pocket knife just to avoid the possibility of it being considered a weapon.

My one question to this situation is can a friend who didn't shoot the deer legally help you track or only the hunter?

It common practice to check with the landowner for safety and respect. If it's after shooting hours, within sight from the property, and I'm way out in the woods I'll grab the deer quick. Unfortunately it's abused to push deer sometimes.

Top Bottom