Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recurve or Longbow?

Phantom

PMA Member
...is the question. Any pros/cons to each one? The plan is to use primarly for whitetails with the occassional neighborhood rabbit at risk.:D I shoot a compound today and thinking about making a switch to hunt simpler. No experience shooting either one yet. Thanks for the input.

Generally speaking, a recurves grip is more similar to what you're used to shooting so in that respect, the recurve will be easier to shoot. Some of todays longbows have a similar grip, but most are fairly straight and some folks have a hard time with shooting a straight gripped bow. Both bows by todays standards are quite accurate.
Another thing to think about is tuning. There's hardly any longbows that are cut past center where as most recurves are at least cut to center. That makes them far easier to get the right arrow setup.
I'm not trying to lean your decision either way. If you can, find somebody that has both that are set up properly and shoot them. That will be the best way for you to decide.
Also, don't overbow yourself. I usually recommend at least 10 pounds lighter than you are shooting now.
What ever you decide, feel free to ask anything you want about them. We will be here to help you out.

Thanks for the info Shovelbuck...I was hoping you'd have some input on this post! :way: I know a bowyer that makes both so will definitely see him and try to shoot some of each. I plan on doing more research but know that practice, practice, practice is the key.

Phantom, you have the 3 rules down and getting aquanted with them is a great idea. I went from my old recurve to a longbow back in 1991 and I cannot put it down. I have enjoyed both. I have gotten along fine in Iowa with 50-55# bows. A sharp BH on a cedar shaft with a clean release put in the right place goes right on through at a blazing 160 fps as good as any carbon. :)

Best wishes in your adventures.

Whichever you choose, the right arrow is very important!!! Some folks don't do so, but I like to bareshaft tune my setups!!!

I have both and love to shoot them...regardless which one I pick up. My longbow is a smoother shooter and I am more accurate with it. The recurve is much faster though.

Best thing to do is just go shoot them both and see which you like. If you are near SE IA, you can swing by and shoot mine and see which you like better.

Top Bottom