Recurves and Releases

Shovelbuck

It was recently asked of me in a PM if releases would work with a recurve. My first response was of course, but then thought that maybe a bit of history and what works would make a good post for this forum.

Back when I started shooting archery, in 1968, we called releases "Hooks". Simply because that's all they were. Nasty things that would go off at the worst of times for the inexperienced! One wrong twist of the wrist and the arrow was on it's way to who knew where. The top shooters in freestyle though had them mastered very well and were shooting 300's indoors with releases and basic pin sights. Then as it is now, the release shooters shot a bit better scores than finger shooters.
With that being said, there is nothing wrong with shooting a release with a traditional recurve. I will say that it would be darn difficult to shoot instinctively with one. If a person is going to use one, I'd recommend using a basic pin type sight and at least a flipper type rest instead of off the shelf. Todays trigger releases will work fine and just as with todays modern bows, you could choose a loop or not.
Some "Traditionalists" may frown on the use of one, but in reality, unless your shooting primitive equipment, there should be nothing incorrect about using them as they've been around for a very long time. Sometimes, finger or wrist injuries, arthritious, etc. can be a reason for using them. Whatever the reason, it's a persons personal choice if they want to try one or not.
Here's a few photos of some old "Hooks" from...
http://www.archeryhistory.com/releases/releases.htm

http://www.archeryhistory.com/releases/releasespics/pse.jpg

The only recurve I have I shoot with a release :) The thing is too short to shoot comfortably with fingers so I put an extra long string loop on it and shoot it instictively. Kinda funny. I haven't practiced much with it but I could hit a pie plate every time at 20 yards. I always say I am going to get it out and learn how to use it but never do......

Sounds lame to me Shovel! If i'm going to shoot my a release I'm going to fire up my kick-starter. If I'm going to go trad, I'm going to go trad. Anyway, its a IMO comment. :)

Like I said, they've been around a long time. I don't shoot them but certainly won't begrudge somebody that does.
Releases were being used long before the Yuppy Trad people came along.

I don't take it serious at all. The bow I have feels like it will explode if I use fingers and pull it all the way back to my anchor point thats why I used a release. I do have a Martin mamba sitting in the garage that I have never shot yet. I am going to try to dig that out this summer.

My dad used that big ol Allen release with his compound up til about 10yrs ago. Still has a couple of them. My mom used to use the hotshots when she shot competition waaaaayyyyy back when and they've got a few of them laying around too. Pretty cool to look back at those old style releases.

Thanks for the info Shovel. I am glad I PM'd you now. I think when I settle on a bow to buy this summer, I will try shooting fingers first and see how it feels, atleast I now know that the injury I sustained to my finger won't stop me from shooting a traditioanal bow, just maybe not with fingers as my realease.

Here's the release I used for awhile a couple seasons ago after sustaining a finger injury. This style was very popular in the early 1970's before mechanical releases were accepted in tournament shooting.

picture.php

picture.php

As you can see, when used, you simply hook your fingers around the two pins and slowly squeeze. Very smooth and a total surprise when it goes off.
I used it with the "Black Bow"

picture.php

I was glad when the finger healed and I could get back to my longbows but it kept me out there when I wouldn't of been able too.:way:

Back