Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red Cedars

captain

I am going to put in 100 Red Cedars this year.I was wondering if you guys fence them in as well.We fence in all our oak and fruit trees but wasnt sure if was necesarry with the Cedars.
Thanks.

Although I cannot say for sure 100% I have never observed deer destroying red cedars unless it is by rubbing activity. I think they would eat gravel first.

[ QUOTE ]
Although I cannot say for sure 100% I have never observed deer destroying red cedars unless it is by rubbing activity. I think they would eat gravel first.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree...it's very rare to see any damage to a young cedar tree. I have seen some awesome rubs on much older trees but have never noticed any killed from it....can't say that about a lot of other trees
smirk.gif

A few years back, we had a record number of days with snow cover. That year, the deer started eating cedars, but it was the last thing they turned to.

I put in 100 red cedar last year and no damage to them so far. Cant say that for my pines that didnt get fenced. Whenever I have any fence that is to short to stop browsing on pines I put that on the cedars just to discourage the rubbing.
The fencing has worked wonders for the pines that did get it. Zero damage.

I like the pines but they are to hard to keep the deer off of them, pretty much everyone I have planted so far is like a lolipop sticking out of the ground. This spring I'm planting a solid acre of red cedars for a thicket, hopefully it will work out since they don't eat them as much as the pines.

I couldn't tell you. I got a bunch of Red Cedars from somewhere in the Dakotas last year. They didn't make their first Canadian winter.
frown.gif

Here's a few pictures on the subject of Red Cedars, why I prefer them and how they compare in my case with Norway Spruce.
This is a wild cedar thicket full of rubs like these. Very rare to see a cedar killed by rubbing. I had to crawl thru most of this thicket on my hands and knees.
771Rub_in_cedar_thicket-med.jpg

These are Red Cedars about 7 years old in my windbreak planting.
7717_yr_cedars-med.jpg

Here's a comparison of Red Cedar and Norway Spruce. You can see a small Norway near each cedar if you look close. The Norways are actually 1-2 years older then the Red Cedars.
771Cedars_and_Norway_Spruce-med.jpg

It's difficult to see in this picture but these are Norways that have been repeatedly thrashed by bucks each fall, otherise I'm certain they would be several feet taller. I love spruces and pines, they are beautiful trees...but pretty is as pretty does...so it's Red Cedars for me from now on!
771Norways_damaged_by_deer-med.jpg

Man those norway spruces are small. I thought that the norway spruce was suppose to be a fairly fast growing tree?

[ QUOTE ]
Man those norway spruces are small. I thought that the norway spruce was suppose to be a fairly fast growing tree?

[/ QUOTE ]
They should be a lot bigger then that for sure! I should've took a close up cause some have nothing but a bare stem 2-3' above what you see in the pic.
Guess I just have too many bucks...errr...I mean rabbits...BIG rabbits!
grin.gif

Fencing like this is the only reliable way I have stopped the deer damage. You can see on this 1 year old white pine that the deer have already nipped the central leader before I got the fencing on. This fence is about 45" or so and none of the trees protected with that fence have been browsed. The shorter 24"-30" fence seems to at least stop them from rubbing trees they wont browse. I have that on some red cedar but no pics. This pic is a little too close up because I actually took it to compare growth this year.

997fieldpine3.jpg

If you have access to free fencing its worth the time. You can make one of these cages in about 2 minutes.

Fencing is the only way to go TP! Need to find some old rolls of woven wire and get started on some of mine. Looks like you didn't need stakes even? I've used chicken wire with good results but have to use a electric fence post for a stake.

Nope, no stakes, they stand up on their own just find. Occasionally a deer will trip over one in the dark and flip it off the tree though, found one 100 yards away. Staking might help that some, but I move the cages in order to mow close to the trees. That is the only draw back I have found (having to move them all), but it really doesnt take very long. I keep my eye out for discarded rolls and every farmer I have asked said "you bet, get it out of here".
I have about 150 so far and in about 10 years or so somebody else can have them if they want to haul them off.

Top Bottom