Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red Dot or Holosight on my 870

bukket

I just picked up a rifled barrel with a cantilevered scope mount for my 870. I'd love to slap a Holosight on it but I'm tempted to buy a red dot as well. Anybody else got an opinion for me?
I typically stand hunt on private ground during the gun season in heavy timber. I've never had to/or wanted take a shot past 50 yards. Last season I passed a shot on a fat old doe because she was bout 75 yards out and I didn't trust myself with open sights and $3 a box slugs. I'm hoping to put something together this week and shoot some sabots to increase my range out to 100 yards.
This is getting me mildly excited for shotgun season.

I would say put on a red dot....if you were shooting a smoothbore.

With a rifled barrel and cantilevered scope mount you should do yourself a favor and put a low or variable power scope on.

Don't get me wrong, a red dot is awesome on a slug gun, and I love them on turkey guns and deer handguns. My brother-in-law has one on his smoothbore 870 and any deer inside of 100 yards is in serious trouble.

3-9X40 NIKON BDC-WITH HORNADY-LIGHTFIELD-REM. COR LOK OR WINCHESTER SUPREME SLUGS. TODAYS BULLETS ARE CAPABLE OF GREAT THINGS----ONLY YOUR OPTICS CAN MAKE THEM PERFORM TO MAX POTENTIAL.

The BDC (bullet drop compensator) is basically a built in series of circles-calibrated for distant shooting.

Halo and red dots may cover a whole deer at even 100 yds.A 3-9 varible allows a trophy hunter a bit better view at extended ranges...

I work with a guy who has a halo and he loves it. He has a nice rifled barrel its mounted on and he drops deer left and right with it every year. Last year he shot a doe at around 150 yards, hit her perfect, through both lungs. I think a halo would take some getting used to, but like M350 said a decent 3x9 is hard to beat. Good luck.

What is your price range? I am a fan of red dots but I lean toward the higher end that are parralax free you dont have to center up the dot to be accurate.

These are a bit pricey but they are amazing. The tri power has fiber optic light collectors that illuminate with sunlight and battery life on both are very high.

I was torn between Aimpoint and Trijicon. I ended up with a Trijicon Tri-power. Trijicon Tri-power
aimpoint

Top Bottom