Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red Dot Sights

Duckaholic76

Im lookin gat gettin one for one of my slug guns. I was wondering what the pros and cons of these are. Im looking at gettin the Red Head Assent

a guy i hunt with had one a couple years ago. lens cracked from getting in and out of the truck and into the cold air. it was a BSA
the main con, is leaving it on and running your battery down, not having it turned on in the moment of truth, and having to carry extra batteries

No magnification, that is the biggest draw back I see. Plus I wouldn't rely on electronics. I grew up scope hunting so I guess I am biased.

I'm really happy with mine. I haven't had any battery issues. I put a new set in every fall, and they last fine for me till the next year. I use it for deer and turkey, so that is about 15 days with it on every year. I was told that one of the worse things as far as battery draw is to turn it on and off a lot. I turn mine on in the morning and don't shut it off until I am done for the day, even if it is just sitting in the case in the truck.
Actually, after using it for two years, I'm thinking about getting one for my son and daughter now also.

The one I used had elevation and windage adjustments just like a scope. Pay attention to the size of the dot on the one you are looking at. They rate them in MOA and I believe 1 MOA covers an inch at 100yds. Some of the cheapers ones i looked at had up to a 10MOA dot which to my thinking made the scope less accurate than the gun. I loved the one I had but the second year I used it my sling came loose and it broke in half when the gun fell on a gravel road.

They work great when they work. The batteries can be an issue if the weather is really cold. The Eco Tech is the best, but is high dollar. I have better luck with open sight and can still shoot 250 yards.

Mine is a cheap one, a Tasco Reddot. Theisen's had them on sale a couple years ago so I thought I would buy one to try it. I have an astigmatism (my eyes blur at long distances), so rifle sights don't work real well for me. I tried a regular scope but wasn't real happy with it. I felt like I was missing out on some of the quick shots because I was taking too long to aim. What I really like about the red dot is it's pretty much just point and shoot. Both eyes open, don't worry if you didn't settle the gun in right, if the dot is on you'll hit it. I sighted mine in at 100 yards, and love how acurate it is. I have shot six deer with it, and two turkeys.
Like I said before, I have never had a problem with batteries, regardless of temperatures. I leave mine on all day when I am hunting. I hunt second season shotgun, and the late doe season, so I have had it in some cold temps and bad conditions.
Mine does have windage and elevation adjustments like a regular scope.

-Matt

I really like my red dot. It is easy to pull up on a moving target. If I am stand hunting I wouldn't use one. A drawback is in the evening sometimes the brightness of the dot (even on the lowest setting) will drown out your target. Batteries have never been an issue for me, but I always have a spare in my pocket. Rain was an issue a couple years ago. Just tried to keep in covered as best as possible.

i decided to try it a couple of years ago, i like using it. i do keep spare batteries in my pocket just in case. otherwise it easy to just pull up and if the dot is on, pull the trigger and it hits the deer

My brother uses an eco tech and absolutely loves it. What I like about that one is that it has a few different settings. It has a dot, cross hairs and a dual purpose. Kind of a neat trait. I have never used any kind of scope myself but i am strongly considering putting one on my 870 this year. Good luck.

I bought a Bushnell Holosight a few years back, same thing as the EOtech holographic sight. 1 MOI and the most rapid sight acquisition you'll ever get bar none. Also they're zero parallax because the reticle "floats" irregardless of eye relief/position based off the muzzle pointing at the target. EXTREMELY effective for short range hunting for drives and a running target. Still very effective out to 100 yds plus also for that matter but a scope would be better IMO for sitting and long range shooting. As an effective tool, it's one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever purchased but they don't give em away that's for sure.

Top Bottom