Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red Rock Wildlife Area?

meatcleaver

meatcleaver
Im trying to get some info about deer hunting some public lands. Has anyone ever deer hunted Red Rock Wildlife area? Whats the chances of seeing nice deer? By nice I mean 130s or better? What kind of hunting pressure is there on this area? Thanks

I shot a 136" crazy tall typical out of the marina a few years ago. I saw a bigger one last year there too. It's goo public ground that doesn't get hunted much.

A group of us hunted it last year for a long weekend and ran into other hunters daily. We heard the same as above, but like everywhere else in this State anymore,public ground is just not the same as it was 10 years ago.

You can shoot a 130 everyday out there, I have seen some giants on the red rock public

????? You must of hunted a different part of it than me. I use to hunt there all the time. Sure, theres some good deer there, its a huge area, but 130's everyday? You must of had a hell of spot in there. Don't give the guy false hope.

False hope?....ok buddy. Public land success depends on how hard you are willing to work. Do you know how many 130 bucks live on thousands of acres in Iowa? I know a bunch of guys that could get your 130 in 2 days out there this week..

Last edited:
sep0667 said:
????? You must of hunted a different part of it than me. I use to hunt there all the time. Sure, theres some good deer there, its a huge area, but 130's everyday? You must of had a hell of spot in there. Don't give the guy false hope.

X2 I've never hunted red rock. Call me a bad hunter but there has been days I can't shoot 130 on private ground.

I agree if you work hard public can pay off.

-}}}---------->

False hope?....ok buddy. Public land success depends on how hard you are willing to work. Do you know how many 130 bucks live on thousands of acres in Iowa? I know a bunch of guys that could get your 130 in 2 days out there this week..

Trust me, I've put in some work to hunt there. It's thousands of acres. I've seen some very nice deer. My biggest sheds have been found in there, I found a 170 set a few years ago. I hunted the Runnells and Swan area of it all during my youth and its where I pretty much taught myself to hunt. I grew tired of the dog walkers, bird hunters, people out on four wheelers and other deer hunters and have moved on to a few private properties. You could hunt clear near the damn or clear up by Runnells, thats probalby 15 miles from one end to the other, so just grouping it as a whole is pretty difficult. It's long and covers both sides of the DSM river. But to tell a guy from GA that he can come up here and have 130's walking by him EVERYDAY if he hangs a stand in here isn't going to happen IMHO. Yes, you WILL see some and if put in the time should have a chance eventually at one.

Just look for small tracks of land that may get overlooked. That's what we hunt first shotgun season, and we always see big deer. Misseda 150+ last year (I'm a horrible shot with a muzzleloader apparently).

A group of us hunted it last year for a long weekend and ran into other hunters daily. We heard the same as above, but like everywhere else in this State anymore,public ground is just not the same as it was 10 years ago.

X2

There are nice bucks around and some thick nasty cover, but it is still public ground and gets hit pretty hard. It is very close to the largest city in Iowa.

IMO. If you are looking for areas in zone 5 the further you get away from des moines the better.

Top Bottom