Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red VS black IR

You're right its probably easier to pay the $100 extra for black flash.

Mobile Cooter using IW

I am not convinced that red or black flash makes any difference to the deer. Deer do not see the red end of the color spectrum well at all, so I do not believe that they see the red flash as red, they just see it as light. They would probably see the black flash as light too. I AM convinced that white flash doesn't scare deer any more than red or black. I too think they are hearing something, or seeing the light, and reacting to it. Mature bucks may tend to avoid cameras after a time but I really do not think the color of the flash has anything to do with it. Just my opinion.

I am not convinced that red or black flash makes any difference to the deer. Deer do not see the red end of the color spectrum well at all, so I do not believe that they see the red flash as red, they just see it as light. They would probably see the black flash as light too. I AM convinced that white flash doesn't scare deer any more than red or black. I too think they are hearing something, or seeing the light, and reacting to it. Mature bucks may tend to avoid cameras after a time but I really do not think the color of the flash has anything to do with it. Just my opinion.

Put a white flash, IR red and IR black camera out and walk through them at night. You will be amazed at the results. With the black you will see nothing.

Non-typ, my post was not about what YOU see, it was about what the deer sees. HUGE difference. Their eyes take in about 50 times as much light as ours, and they see blues ay better than we do. They can see off the blue end of the spectrum light waves that we cannot see, so if the black cameras are a dark purple, as one poster said, then the chances are they can actually see the black lights far better than the red lights. I don't claim to know it all about these flash colors, but I smell a rat when it comes to black flash. Just my opinion.

Would a filter solve the red glow issue?

One like this one.

If so it would be about $15 a camera.

Sent from Cooter's iPad using IW

The red light on the cameras are in the 850 nm wavelength Correction: Visible spectrum is 400-700nm, Red is 650-700). If you look at the % light transmission charts in the technical images tab, you will see that these filters do next to nothing in blocking light of this wavelength Correction: They would actually block most of the light. Good thought. I'd imagine there has to be another product that blocks that light wavelength though?

After a little research, I guess I don't have any reason to believe why this filter wouldn't work. Might have to give it a try. Thanks Cooter!

Last edited:
You had me looking at it again. I thought I read it right. Think I will spend the fifteen and give it a try.

I emailed them to see what they have to say about a filter that lets ir through but blocks the visible light.

I'll keep you posted.

The link doesn't work for me. I'm very interested in this because I am researching a magazine article for Field& Stream about this. Trying to learn all I can about filters and such. For example, if you put a red lens on a white light, does a deer (which cannot see red) still see light? If there are photons then is there light... even if it is not red? Or do they seee nothing?

The link doesn't work for me. I'm very interested in this because I am researching a magazine article for Field& Stream about this. Trying to learn all I can about filters and such. For example, if you put a red lens on a white light, does a deer (which cannot see red) still see light? If there are photons then is there light... even if it is not red? Or do they seee nothing?

They would see nothing, just as we do not see x-rays, gamma rays, etc... Light is light and wavelength is wavelength. But, do we really know what wavelengths a deer can see?

So if they work and I can cut them I could do four of my cameras for $15.50 plus shipping.

A far cry from the $400 extra for black flash cameras.

I will wait for them to get back to me before I order. I need to know if and how I can cut it to shape. Wish the LED window had no radiuses. They said a D battery is the perfect pattern for the M80.

Sent using IW app

They would see nothing, just as we do not see x-rays, gamma rays, etc... Light is light and wavelength is wavelength. But, do we really know what wavelengths a deer can see?

By Dissecting a deer's eye and examining the retina (Univeristy of GA and the University of WA), we now know that deer can see very little on the red end of the spectrum and very well on the blue end, so the only thing they have to compare it to is the human eye I am told. So we really do not know how far down the ultraviolet end they can see. So they may see wavelengths on that end that we cannot. Deer do not have a UV filter on the lens like humans do so they see blues better than us for that reason too. Their cones are a little different from humans but apparently we still do not know the extent of the UV they can see, just that they see it a lot better than we do.

I guess my understanding of this is pretty superficial since I do not understand how light that is not seen by the eye of a human can be picked up by the camera. Is light at its most simple form a photon? And if there is a photon, wouldn't there be light that possibly a deer could see? Especially if that light is a deep purple like one of the posters on this thread has stated. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about this. Any optometrists on here?

I read the article also. A lot of study done there.

I don't buy the blue thing tho. Been a lot of guys out there that have killed deer in their blue jeans.....

I also don't under stand the need for a deer to see blue well. Not much in mother nature that is blue other than flowers and the sky.

Sent using IW app

Top Bottom