Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Redneck Engineering Attempt 2.

Liv4Rut

Call me crazy but I love adding movement to my spread. I have pulled birds away from the flock that I never thought I could by adding a little movement. The problem I have had is finding the perfect device for adding movement. The strutting 360 was weak for strutters, the zink 360 can be a pain with the two strings. I like to be able to make them move a full 360 like strutting etc so just a string attached to the decoy doesn't work too well.

I have been doing some searching and found a little rewind pull starter from a pocket bike I have been toying with making it work. I bought one late last year but it had a plastic pulley. I didn't realize it at the time. I made it work and it worked flawlessly until the weight of the decoy broke the plastic spool. It was great because you only had to pull the string about 4 inches at most and it did a full rotation. When you eased up on it it spun the other way.

I found a metal one this time that is pretty small and only weighs 14 ounces and is only like 4x6 inches. I think this one will be the ticket. Needs a paint job of course. Already has the holes in it to stake in the ground so it should work well.

I have some ideas on how to attach the decoy to it. Just wondering how you guys would try to attach a decoy to it? Crazy I know but it will be the best I have used once done if it works like the other one. Plus its cheap. If this one works like I think it will, I will probably buy two more and then I can set my decoys out. Run a small length of rope to each one to the center of them. I would then have a main line hook up to them with a small carabiner and a small tug of the rope will make all 3 decoys move at once.

Getting too high tech I know for a stupid turkey lol but its a blast!!

Here is what I am going to use this time.
982-pull_start.jpg

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Cooter, that is what we are thinking. We would like to make a little bracket that attaches across the pulley that has a nut on it. I would then use 1/4 inch all thread like I currently am on my DSDs using the zink 360. I would then just stake it in the ground and then screw on the decoy quick.

I bought this one off ebay for $25.33 with free shipping. Worth a shot anyways. The last one I bought was only 4x4 inches. This one I think is a little wider with the rounded edge. The other one was a perfect square. They are real small. The last one worked awesome though. It just needed to be metal instead of plastic.

I will update this thread once it is made. Should have it done within two weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-bicycl...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a17b6db22

Last edited:
Turkey spinner update

Well it is almost completed. Gave it run last night and it worked good but I need to make two small improvements. We put a plexiglass shield over the top to keep everything on the inside clean and then it also acts as a solid base to stake down. On the short connection rod I need to add a wingnut to the base to secure it to the pulley. It kept just wanting to thread and unthread on me. A little lock tite would fix that as well. So far I like it. Just need to camo it up and it should be good to go. I might also see if there is anyway to find a little lighter stake.

The plexiglass base is 5 x 5.5 inches. We could of shortened up a bit but it doesn't take up much room. It definitely stakes down rock solid.
982-spinner.jpg

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Looks good! I was thinking a battery operated motor like they have in stores for beer displays and such!! :confused:

Central Iowa,

I saw that before I built mine. I didn't look into it too hard. It almost looked like the motor had to go up inside the decoy and I didn't want to tear into my DSDs. I need to look into it further though. You are correct though, that is the way to go. I had the strutting 360 that was electric and it didn't work all that great from the motor being weak but something like that would work great.

There is always next year!! I wonder if all those motors have the same frequency? I would like to have one remote control all the decoys at once. That would be sweet. As far as I know it is legal in Iowa. I know the strutting 360 was.

Top Bottom