Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader?

I asked the question over on Iowasportsman, had a few responses but not a lot of info. My biggest question was that if they are designed for 200 grains of BP/substitute, would smokeless be safe? Cabelas sold the Savage with "Black powder only" stamped on the barrel for legal reasons. I'm thinking this rifle may be just as capable but not advertised as such due to the lawyers.

I asked the question over on Iowasportsman, had a few responses but not a lot of info. My biggest question was that if they are designed for 200 grains of BP/substitute, would smokeless be safe? Cabelas sold the Savage with "Black powder only" stamped on the barrel for legal reasons. I'm thinking this rifle may be just as capable but not advertised as such due to the lawyers.

These do NOT have smokeless capable barrels on them. Remington has never put a smokeless capable barrel for their muzzleloaders. 200 grains of BP is significantly lower pressure than smokeless powders, even tame loads of smokeless.

I have not seen or tried one but they are getting positive reviews on other sites when used as recommended.

These do NOT have smokeless capable barrels on them. Remington has never put a smokeless capable barrel for their muzzleloaders. 200 grains of BP is significantly lower pressure than smokeless powders, even tame loads of smokeless.

I have not seen or tried one but they are getting positive reviews on other sites when used as recommended.

I would think the recoil is crazy then if using 200 grains of BP, no?

It's gotta be. I know the difference between 100 grains and 150 grains of pyrodex is unreal. Can't imagine going up to 200 grain. In the heat of the moment, no big deal. But I would definitely want a lead sled that holds the butt of the gun during sight in.

It's gotta be. I know the difference between 100 grains and 150 grains of pyrodex is unreal. Can't imagine going up to 200 grain. In the heat of the moment, no big deal. But I would definitely want a lead sled that holds the butt of the gun during sight in.

Not sure, since I have not shot one, but on paper, it should have some kick. The obvious is the extra powder should equal more velocity, which move velocity equals more recoil. The other less obvious and often not thought of piece is the extra weight of the powder, also equals more recoil.

A couple of muzzleloader examples, the 50 cal Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader shooting the advertised 250 grain bullet using 200 grains of powder @ 2,400 FPS will have more recoil than a 45 cal smokeless muzzleloader using 300 grain sabotless bullets and 70 grains of smokeless powder @ 2,650 FPS.

Both are shooting 45 cal bullets, one in a sabot, the other sabotless, and both using safe loads for the design of the gun, but the heavier and faster and much flatter shooting bullet has less kick. Hmm...

I'd be interested to shoot this new gun over fresh snow or a white sheet and see if all the powder burns.

^^^^^ exactly! Ive seen alot of guns that wont burn a full charge of pellets.
So would this thing be safe to shoot 150 grains by volume of blackhorn?? I should email remington and see what they have to say

I've not heard a lot but what I have heard hasn't been that good... Here's an article that compares it to a few other models for 300yd performance and it sounds like they didn't get anywhere near the advertised velocity and only 2" 100yd groups

http://www.namlhunt.com/mlmaxrange2.html

I've also heard on some other forums they had a batch go out with bad barrels as well, something about the coating or packing grease not cleaning off... Doesn't sound like Remington has done anything to inform people of the bad barrels, they just wait for the complaint then replace it

Last edited:
I did not buy two Savage ML10's because I wanted 400 yard ML guns. I bought them because I hated BP substitutes and the fouling and cleaning. I'm good with getting in close and taking the high percentage shot, not interested in shooting the next section over. But that is just my view, to each his own.

I bought my dad one of these for Christmas and really don't have any glowing reports to send out. We did find that powder gave us better groups at 100yds than pellets. We ended up going with 125 grains of triple7 powder with 250 grain sabots. Had 2 inch groups w/out a vise with this at 100 yds. Tried both 250 and 290 grain sabots with 200 grains of pellets with no consistant patterning. I look forward to working with more powder to see if we can keep a good pattern at 100 yds then extend out and hopefully get a good pattern at 200 yds. We have the composite stock with a leopold scope on it. The gun is glass bedded, 200 grains of powder kicks less than 150 grains in my TC with a composite stock. That is the biggest thing that I have noticed in shooting this gun. You can really settle in without the fear of splitting your brow.

Last edited:

There are Savages out there with "BP Only" barrels so where are you seeing that these are NOT smokeless capable? And how do we know that Remington has never used 1 that is smokeless capable? All I've found are personal opinions and what the Lawyers want you to see.

I'm not saying that these are one way or the other. Just asking if there is a chance that these are smokeless capable but due to legal reasons are not advertised as such. Similar to what Cabelas did with the Savage 10's.

As for BP having significantly lower pressures than smokeless, take a look at modern 45-70 loads. Guys are loading smokeless for their old BP guns with no issues. Even shotgun loads are lower pressures than BP loads.

Top Bottom