Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Removing Old Fletching????????

Rackaddict

Life Member
I have some Gold Tip Camo finish arrows that I want to re-fletch. The problem is when I remove the old vanes that are glued on with Lord knows what, I can't get the glue residue off. I've tried the old razor blade routine which works on every other arrow I've done but on these the razor blade cuts into the camo finish and leaves it pitted. Do any of you guys know of a better way to get this glue off the shafts? Is there a solvent of some kind that I can use to disolve the glue without damaging the arrow?
shrug[1].gif

yet another problem with carbons. I would try a serrated blade to get of the glue and then acetone to clean off the rest of the material. Do not leave the acetone on too long though, it may break down the resin in the arrow.

Even if it scratches the finish you can always get wraps or get your arrows crown dipped and crested. Just an idea...

you're probably going to chip that finish no matter what. acetone may help or it may hinder. when i re-fletched my GoldTips i found that persistance paid off. i just kept scraping lightly witha razor until i got most of the glue residue off. i then used VERY VERY high grit sandpaper VERY VERY lightly to take the rest off. yes, it will probably ruin the finish of the arrow but put some arrow wraps on if that bothers you. limb & i both use the EZE crests and love them. next time get the straight black shafts instead of the camo, they are a lot less of a headache to me!!

good luck.

There is a round edged tool that is designed for the chore of removing vanes and feathers. Unfortunately I can't remember who makes them, must be a senior moment! We used it at Central Iowa Archery, you can give them a call and ask 515-266-3912. Jason or Brady can help. Worked great for a few hundred, but it wore out too fast for our commercial usage.

Also, denatured alchohol will clean off the little residue you have left, and lets the glue stick to a smooth and pure surface. Good luck.
beerchug.gif

Hey Rack, you can come over and use my pneumatic grinder. It will take that old crud right off and give you a good clean surface to glue on. You may need to fill some holes but I'm sure that wouldn't be a big deal. You can use that clinometer you made me to get the angle right.
waytogo.gif

Hey limb, you gunna be at the iowawhitetail shindig this weekend? If so take pictures and send them to me so I know what I missed.

It doesn't look like Rack will make it so you can take down those big back stops cause us Mizzery boys aren't gunna show. Don't let me down Limb. I want to see some shots of these guys doing really dumb stuff!

speaking of dumb stuff...oh, nevermind, i don't want to subjugate myself to any more ridicule than i can handle...i'll make it short and simple so you can fill in the end result any way you want.

wedding reception...totally free,
open bar....totally free,
free keg....totally free,
WWWAAAAAYYYYYYY to much
beerchug.gif
on my part,
the song "YMCA",

and a headdress. <----that's what i'm gunna regret

and my wife had a camera....priceless.

busted.gif
busted.gif
busted.gif
busted.gif
busted.gif

i may not be smart, but i sure ain't dull either!!

OOOOHHHH Muddy that hurt!

I'm kinda geten a mental picture of the head dress thingy and it aint perty!!
893shocked-thumb[1].gif

well, it was all in good fun, so it's not so bad!! i must say that the headdress matchec my suit and tie perfectly.
waytogo.gif

You say your wife got a pic of that??? That would make a great avitar for you!!
grin.gif
Or better yet a gramelin for the site
busted.gif

I knew it all a along....................................................Muddy...................................................A Village people wanna be.......................
evil.gif
evil.gif

Top Bottom