Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Removing Rust Question

Full Quiver

My dad handed over his old Remington Model 11 to me. When he first started dating my mom he traded his guitar in for it so he could spend time hunting with his future father-in law. I think that I was the first gun I fired when I was a kid.

It probably hasn't been out of the case for over 20 years. When we took it out we were disappointed to see there was some pretty bad rust pits on one side of the receiver and a few on the barrel.

DSC03182.JPG

DSC03181.JPG

The other side of the receiver is fine.

I've just taken a rag and some gun oil and gone over it a few times, but obviously it's gonna take a lot more to get rid of the rust.

So I'm looking for suggestions of getting rid of the rust. I really want to get it back to looking like I remember if possible. Other than the rust, it's in perfect condition.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Take it to a smith and have it reblued by hot-tanking(I think thats what its called). It'll cost ya some coin but you'll be happy with it when the finished product.

You can go with trying to cold blue it. I have seen a few guys that tried it. Poor at best. Kinda like repainting a car with out blending. You sand the rust and blue away down to metal then add cold-blue.

My father left his shotgun in his case for 3months in his truck and pulled it out to find way worse rust than what you have. Had it reblued. Took about 2months for the guy to send it away and get it back and put together and it cost him somewhere around $100.

Hope that helps.

Try some 0000 steel wool and naval jelly or Break-Free gun oil (aka Panther Piss)and those should clean up the rust, but nothing will take out the pits. The Break-Free is awesome stuff and is what we used when I was in the Army by the gallons.

Top Bottom