Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

renzo decoys

Stu

Anyone ever try deer decoys by Renzo's??? Any thoughts or suggestions?
I really would like to try decoying this year.

I've used one the last two years. I have the feeding doe. Mixed reviews. Had some does come in and spook with it. I also had a monster walk 10 yards from it within 20 minutes of shooting light. He stomped his foot tryng to get her to move. He eventually circled out wide and left. By the time I could see my pins, he was 70 yards up the draw and leaving. I really only try it just before the full rut starts. I try to put it in a picked field. One of my stands sits over a field, so I like putting her about 10 yards out into the field if the wind is right.

I bought one this year simply because of how easy it will be to pack in/out. I don't have a review for you other than I bought one. ha, ha

To combat what cybball said a little bit...I'm going to take a white garbage bag and cut some of the into little strips to put on the ears and tail to give it more of a life-like look. We'll see how that works. ha, ha

I used one for the fisrt time last year and must say that I was suprised by how well deer responded to it. I have the buck decoy figuring that real bucks will respond to its presence no matter what phase of the season is occuring. I had does on 4 different occasions come nose to nose with the decoy without every spooking. The only buck action I had was a 2 1/2 year old that came into 20 yards of the decoy, circled infront of it, then got confused when the decoy appeared to disappear. At that time he got pretty nervous and headed off the direction that he came from. He was never spooked but knew something wasn't right. If he'd been a shooter, I would have had plenty of time to take a crack at him.
I don't know if one year of experience is enough to pass judgement on the effectiveness, but for what it is worth I am going to carry him with me again this year.
I agree that the ease of transporting this type of decoy and the affordability make it worth a go.

take a tarsal gland off those does you shoot, and hang one on your decoy each time out. of course, keep human scent off the gland

Somebody mentioned on this site last fall that they got two of the buck decoys, and put them butt to butt, and facing away from each other at 90 degree angles. This was to make sure a circling buck always saw the decoy. Sounds like it would work. Seems like a 2-D decoy would spook a deer when they came head on to it, and it then just 'disappears'. Any thoughts or experience with this ?

I did just that and put two of them butt to butt. I was hunting in late nov. and to my surprise it worked I arrowed a circling buck down from the decoys. He came in lip curling to my scents I had placed on each side of the decoys. He was a 4.5 year old buck so I don't feel it was a total fluke because those old deer aren't fooled easy.

The first time I set the renzo out I had only one and a small buck came in circling it. when he got to the point where the doe decoy disapeared he started freaking out running everywhere trying to find where she went. It was funny as hell, especially because I ended scaring the deer because I was laughing at him.

If I had my choice though I would use a full body decoy. Renzo was just there so I wanted to try them, it worked so I can't copmlain though.

A tip if you have the right conditions is cut the metal stake in the back of the decoy and stick only the front ones in the ground. A little wind will make the decoy look like it is moving around feeding.

Two decoys and 90 degrees to eachother, butt to butt, works well. If you don't have two or don't want to buy two I would try to keep it on the edge of cover so it can only be spotted by a deer from the side. If it circles it will loose sight of it in the 'brush' so to speak.

Top Bottom