Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Replace strings WHEN

My theory is roughly every 1000 arrows, or every two years, whichever comes first. A LOT of people change annually but unless your not worried about budget I see no need

It depends on what type of string you have currently and the quality of it, IMO. I shoot John's Customs (Breathn on ArcheryTalk) and I've probably ran a couple thousand arrows since I put them on and they still look fairly new and haven't moved. I put them on last June. The stock strings on my bow when new only stayed put for about 200 shots and that was enough for me.

Take care of your strings, wax them regularly, and buy a good quality set and they should last you a long time. You can get a good custom set from a number of string makers on AT for around $75.

If you think you need to change it. Change it!! I have no set time or shots that I go Off of. If you take care of your strings and have quality strings they can last years!

So what's the reason to change string? Is it that ur string could actually break? Someone above said something about things moving- not sure what that means. If my string has no dings and is well taken care of- what's the reasoning to change?
One side note of why I don't like changing- the stuff on my string like peep and nock have moved in first month (while string is stretching????) and finally seems to settle- does this seem right? Happens to me pretty much every time.
I appreciate the feedback from the bow experts. Thanks.

So what's the reason to change string? Is it that ur string could actually break? Someone above said something about things moving- not sure what that means. If my string has no dings and is well taken care of- what's the reasoning to change?
One side note of why I don't like changing- the stuff on my string like peep and nock have moved in first month (while string is stretching????) and finally seems to settle- does this seem right? Happens to me pretty much every time.
I appreciate the feedback from the bow experts. Thanks.

A lesser quality string tends to never "settle" in so you are constantly having to re-tune because of peep twist and specs and cam timing changing. Anytime your peep changes position it means your strings have moved a little.

For the longest time I just used the stock strings that came with my hunting bows. This year I switched out to a custom string/cable set and let me tell you...I'll never use a stock string again. After a short settle-in period, everything is perfect and NO serving separation. Now I look at my custom string & cable and think to myself, "Why didn't I do this years ago??"

I have a z7 mathews (not trying to hijack thread, sorry!) w/2 yr old string (new w/bow). Guess time to change. What string is best???? Opinions?

Skip, like the guys above have stated, your string will stretch with time/shots and your peep will twist as well as loss of speed which will cause you to have to (in some cases) move your pins.

My last 4 bows have not left the shop with the factory string and cables on them. I order a Winners Choice set up for all my new bows. They have a lifetime guarantee and IMO are one of the best available. I shoot thousands of arrows every year and have never had any issues, such as stretch, twist, timing, etc..

A good custom string will save a guy a lot of headaches if you shoot alot. And by alot I mean thousands of arrows a year, not 20 once a week in your back yard.

There are a bunch of good custom strings on the market, my woman has a Schmidty string out of LaCrosse on her bow and that seems to be a good string as well, but only has a 1 year warranty.

You're a smart guy :rolleyes: Do your research and find what suits you. Winners Choice has amazing CS and makes one hell of a product! They are out of Oregon.

Skip, Mathews comes with Zebra strings, And they are a high quality string. If you want to switch go with anothe set of Zebra or Winners Choice.

I bought a set of Proline Strings last year off AT and couldn't be happier. Peep never moved from the first shot. No re-tuning after 100 shots.

Like some one else said there are a bunch of good string makers on AT and they're a lot cheaper than Winners Choice.

Lots of string manufacturers out there but definitely not all are good. I"d stick with one of the big ones that know what they are doing and have the correct charts to know how to build the strings on your bow to spec. Incorrect strand counts or serving size can make to bow incredibly difficult to tune, dramatically change your letoff or even become dangerous. Think about this before you decide to go with a budget set of strings - at full draw there will can between 700 and 1000 pounds of tension on your buss cable - not something to take lightly.

Proline, Vapor Trail, Winners Choice, John's Customs (this is what I use, Breathn is his screen name on on ArcheryTalk). Mathews stock strings are good and I never had issues with them when I had Mathews bows. I just always found they cost more compared to custom strings that are just as high of quality.

Top Bottom