Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Response from Branstad....

Small steps down a short path. FOI is smiling.

TSLC aka "Internet Hearsay"
and a life long republican......

Tom; you go from don't accuse Brandstad until you have the facts; to starting a rumor of your own about Culver.

Not a rumor... trust me.... I am not at liberty to say who shared this with me.... therefore I wont.

Cedar, glad you already voted... :way:

Not a rumor... trust me.... I am not at liberty to say who shared this with me.... therefore I wont.

Cedar, glad you already voted... :way:

Thomas buddy, not picking on you at all, and I'm not going to discuss politics on here, but when you don't want to reveal a source, on any matter, not just this one, best off not even say anything, because without any credability to an issue that a lot of people take seriously, its just going to look like one of the commercials on tv going against the other guy.

Thats like me saying, I just killed a 200 inch deer, but nobody has seen or it going to get to see it. Would you believe me?

How can you "Consider that done" when you speak of "Culver's potential tag increase, when you just got done saying Branstad getting his increase done is not that simple?? I dont think that by assuming a vote lumps you in for the increase of NR tags, so many other important issues. I just don't think your pre-vote convo really has much merit. But decisions should be based on past action. What do you think he is going to tell you when your position has already been declared. "I want more NR Tags, by modest I mean six bazillion!!!??"

I dunno, I just think it takes more than a call to convince yourself, or a post about how awesome one candidate is. And how the heck do you have a reliable source that can't be disclosed?? Witness protection?

I also don't buy into your supply and demand argument. When demand is next to impossible to supply, it takes itself out of the equation..... Of course unlimited access would prove your argument, but I dont see that happening, and this argument does not cause enough of an issue to stop quota increases.

*This post does not reflect my voting decision what so ever, purely for the sake of arguing.

Last edited:
Geeez I hate politics!!

I too, fear the door staying open once it's open. But like you said Thomas, one cannot responsibly vote if they're voting for just one issue. With all the Land Legacy stuff, Farm Bureau bullcrap, who supports what, etc... my head is spinning.

Regardless of who gets put into office, we all need to pay VERY close attention to what will be happening with our state's Natural Resources, which I might add, is a MUCH broader issue than just hunting and fishing. We are on a slippery slope, indeed, and with very well-funded special interest groups popping up EVERYWHERE... things could get ugly.

Thanks for sharing and representing us very well. Kudos!

Politics is an issue my parent's taught me never to discuss, and for good reason. Glad to see this can get talked about on here in a professional manner and respect. This shows Culver/Brandstad just how important the issue is and this will ultimately be a big factor in there votes on Nov. 2! It's funny, many opinions and so called "facts" can be mentioned to make one person sound so much better than the other. What you see on tv are cut-throat adds which aren't very reliable "facts". I agree with some of you on getting Governor Culver's take on the issue. Regardless of all of your opinions on who is still a better candidate, it is not good politics to say one candidate is better than the other because you have one side of the story and were "fed cake" while getting the story (Metaphorically saying it looked sweet and sounded sweet). I spoke with one of Governor Culver's staffers two mornings ago to see if they had an opinion on this because it is an issue very important to me as well as you all. I told him about these interesting posts on the IowaWhitetail forum about the issue and told him it would be in the Culver campaigns' best interest to get involved somehow. I didn't want to get real pushy with addressing the issue to them but wanted to make sure they knew it was VERY IMPORTANT to a good portion of the Iowa voters (that portion being resident hunters, farmers, iowa landowners, etc.) Granted this may sound like I'm pushing for the Culvers and may be so, but I respect all of your decesions come Nov. 2nd and hope you respect mine for other reasons not stated or known. Regardless of the outcome, I take a more negative look at political figures anyway. They all seem to do and say whatever they can to make themselves look better for a vote, like previously stated "feeding cake". Ultimately, it all comes down to legislative session, so those are the ladies and gentleman everyone should be getting after and prepared for. Instead of all the hype in the gay marriage issue going on during the last two years of session, maybe the Iowa hunters can step in and make a dramatic influence too... That would make for an interesting session, even though I hope the issue doesn't go any farther than just political talk. Hopefully, my conversation a couple of mornings ago will get taken seriously. If it does, then great, problem of getting the current Governors stance on the issue, solved. If not, well, let's just say it wouldn't surprise me either. Just my 2 cents worth and thought you all should know the other side was informed too! Now we must sit back and see I guess...

Non resident increase

This is exactly what happened to Kansas the first year it was a couple thousand then it was a little more. Now it is pretty much an unlimited draw sate where after the draw there are leftover tags in every unit. I for one don't believe that it will stop when they open it up to more non-residents.
I don't have one place left to hunt that I grew up hunting everything I bow hunted as a kid and young adult is now leased and I used to have thousands of acres to hunt now I can't get on any of it.

we have a dove season, the concealed carry law has been "fixed". branstad has run his course for the iowa outdoorsman.

I then brought up that once a change or increase is implemented it would open the door to further increases. That bothers me and many other Iowa sportsmen and women. He totally understood the sentiment and assured me that during his tenure, an additional increase would not take place. I know politicians have made this kind of promise before, i.e. Bush senior with "Read My Lips, NO NEW TAXES" But in this case, I firmly believe he would stand by his word.

At least THA4 talked him out of a nr tag increase.

I am not here to defend either Branstad OR Culver, but the reality is that the Farm Bureau is a very powerful lobby, a wee bit more powerful than a batch of deer hunters. (Sarcasm alert. :grin:)

So I am not sure that tossing the governor, whoever he/she may be, under the bus is really the issue here. I think our real audience are the farmers themselves and as long as they are saying there are too many deer...then in the mind of most politicians...there are too many deer.

I am not here to defend either Branstad OR Culver, but the reality is that the Farm Bureau is a very powerful lobby, a wee bit more powerful than a batch of deer hunters. (Sarcasm alert. :grin:)

So I am not sure that tossing the governor, whoever he/she may be, under the bus is really the issue here. I think our real audience are the farmers themselves and as long as they are saying there are too many deer...then in the mind of most politicians...there are too many deer.
You are correct Daver. The FB and the insurance companies are more powerful and funded then us.

Top Bottom