Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Right or left eye dominate

Blaster

PMA Member
Is there a good test to figure out what my sons dominate eye is? He is left handed but bats right. When he picks up a gun he shots it right but sometimes i am catching him aiming with his left eye. before i buy him a bow i really need to find out what eye is dominate and is he going to shoot left or right.

Last edited:
Have him hold a pencil at arms length (or have him hold up a finger). With both eyes open, ask him to "aim"/put the point of of the pencil/finger on something across the room. Then tell him to close one eye at a time, asking him which eye the pencil stays on the "target". That would be his dominant eye.

The easiest way that I know how to do is hold up both hands in front of you and put your right fingers over your left fingers. Then with your thumbs make a triangle.

With your hands fully extended away from you pick an object about 5-10 yards away and have him focus on it while looking through the triangle your hands form. Make the triangle fairly small. Then have him bring his hands back to his face slowly while keeping focus on it.

The triangle will center over his dominant eye. Works every time for me and everyone I ever tried it on.

Randy just nailed it. That is the exact way I have always been able to have my kids tell. I have both L&R dominate eyes within my four kids.

The easiest way that I know how to do is hold up both hands in front of you and put your right fingers over your left fingers. Then with your thumbs make a triangle.

With your hands fully extended away from you pick an object about 5-10 yards away and have him focus on it while looking through the triangle your hands form. Make the triangle fairly small. Then have him bring his hands back to his face slowly while keeping focus on it.

The triangle will center over his dominant eye. Works every time for me and everyone I ever tried it on.

You can do this or just cover or close each eye. The one that object will b centered in is the dominant eye.

Sent from my tab 2 using IW

We always just put a hole in a piece of paper and then focused on an object through that hole with the paper at arms length. Then slowly bring the paper to your face while still focusing on the object and the paper will come to the dominant eye.

I don't know if eye dominance plays that big of a roll in learning to shoot? I am totally left eye dominate, I'm right handed though.. I shoot right handed, using my right eye.. I shoot very well that way (im talking mostly wing shooting, trap/skeet), I've never really shot a bow left handed.. never thought twice about what eye to use until I heard of eye dominance.. but I also can outshoot almost any of my friends using my left hand/eye, if I want to?? I always just thought it was just practice, and a natural ability to shoot well..

Last edited:
I guess i'm just trying to figuer out what bow to buy him. Left hand or right hand. I might just have to take him over to Boyd and let him fit him to a bow.

Top Bottom