Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Right or Wrong

S

Shoe

Question,
I was hunting this week and was approached by a guy that said he leased this ground for his cattle and told me to stay the hell out. I have had permission the last couple of years by the owner to hunt their. So who is right the guy that has his cattle in their or the land owner.

It depends on the nature of the lease....... I know guys that lease property for hunting and the same ground is leased out to area farmers for raising crops, etc.

I would talk to the landowner about it..... you might want to consider how you go about it. If you are hunting the ground by permission only (no lease, etc.) then the landowner might tell you to stop hunting if he feels the cattle owner is upset. He may be concerned that he would want to move his cattle.

You might not want to mention your conversaton with the cattle owner until the landowner assures you that it it ok for you to hunt the ground. It sounds as if the cattle owner may be somewhat of a jerk.... however, you may need to approach him after talking with the landowner and assure him that you will be mindful of his cattle.

I think the best thing is to ask the land owner to ad your right to hunt his or her land to the lease of the guy with the cattle. Just a thought, and get it in writing. Al

It's a matter of how lease is written. My dad is retired and leased his land, but retained hunting rights in the lease. I would approach the landowner though and as mentioned before get it in writing with his signature.

Shoe,

You mentioned you've had permission to hunt the past couple of years. Did you check again this year? Just because you've hunted there in the past doesn't give you the right this year. The owner may have told you it was leased or offered to speak to the renter on your behalf. Better yet, it could be written into the lease as others have suggested.

I make it a habit to make the rounds of places I have permission to hunt and renew those bonds with the landowner. It's also a good way to get a scouting report. It also doesn't hurt to remember the landowner at Christmas time with a gift of game and/or their favorite beverage.

Threebeards.

Threebeards is correct on this. ALways make sure you have permission for the current year. You never can just assume you have permission because you had it once, things change. This happend on a farm that we had permission to hunt.

Being from out of state, my buddy and I spent countless hours digging up land to bow hunt. Come the hutning season we started running into two other out of staters saying they had sole hunting permission. We went and talked to the land owner and they never checked back with him. They just assumed that they could still hunt the ground. Worse part about the whole deal was that the other out of staters got pissed at us and then left a couple gates open to soem hay fields, the cattle ended up eating 50+ round bails that the farmer need during the winter. That was it for bow hunting on that farm again for anyone. He closed it down to just the family for gun season.

Get it in writing too if you can.

I have run into situations where landowner and renter gave permission to different parties. Talk about a major incident, it about came to blows.

I always thought the right stayed with landowner unless it is specified in the lease agreement.

Not sure, but I have permission to hunt some land from the renter and I doubt the owner knows about it.

Top Bottom