Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

riser wear-and-tear???

Split_G3
due to the fact that i can't afford to have a hunting bow and a 3d bow, i use my hunting bow throughout the offseason(march-september) to shoot 3d with my local bowhunting association.

we shoot every sunday morning all 30 3d targets(weather permitting), and then again on tuesday night, but only 15 targets, so basically i shoot my bow, including warm-ups and practice at the house about 100 times a week in the off season. my question is this: over time will this create any serious problems with the riser? i know these things are very tough. although this question may sound dumb, but, which is better as far as this wear-and-tear, carbon or aluminum? i know that over a period of time limbs become wore down and cams will need to be replaced also. i usually have my bow inspected once a month, no matter what.

i have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked on the bow. it's pry really nothing to worry about, with the warranty and all, but i was just curious about wear on a riser shooting this much when others only use 3d bows when we shoot this much.

i have had absolutely no problems, at all, so far and pry won't, just curious!

personally never heard of a riser going bad. Sounds like your doing everything right. That bow should last a looooooonnnnnnnggggg time.

If anything your string will crap out first, just from normal wear and tear. I shoot about 200+ arrows a week, year round with a few different bows. I have never had any problems. It's a machine, that is what it is built for. Make sure you keep that string waxed. I know a certain nameless person that has a bow string that looked like a boat anchor rope.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

With casted type risers,I guess it would be possible to get a bad pour,but not too likely.And if that was the problem I think it would show up rather quickly.

As for the newer machined aluminum and carbon risers,I wouldn't be too concerned.Most of todays machined aluminum risers are of T-6 aircraft grade aluminum,and couldn't really amagine any major problems.It would be possible to get dissimilar metal corrosion where steel contacts aluminum.In the case where a steel limb bolt threads into the aluminum riser.Both parts should be anodized to prevent this,but over time it could wear some,and take on some moisture, it's possible.Just keep the bolts greased at each string change or so and the grease will prevent this.

As for carbon risers their stronger,lighter,vibrate less and are not as cold to the touch in cold weather as compared to aluminum.These risers are basically machined out of high grade resins and carbon fibers.I have seen delam (seperation of materials)in aircraft surfaces constucted of carbon composites.But in this case as thick as the riser is,highly unlikey, but possible.Much more evident in thinner carbon surfaces that are in extreme elements,than someting as thick as a riser that dosen't take abuse.

These are two extreme conditions that could exist over time,but like I said,I wouldn't be too concerned with either.
Split just seemed concerned as if he was going to keep this bow until he was 80 or so.
grin.gif

Top Bottom