Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Risk worth the reward? Opinions needed

Trail cams are the devil, lol. If he showed up under your tree we would all shoot him.

From my experience, I had a buck I new was 200"+ but thought would be great with a year. Buddy had him at 30 yards but knew he was off limits. Well he got killed in gun season, was over 200". Do I wish he was on his or my wall absolutely! Does it bother me, nope.

It's all up to you, don't worry about neighbors and etc. if you shoot him he has a 0% chance of blowing up.

P.s. Maybe shoot some yotes this winter??

I'd rather see you holding his sheds this season and holding him next year.....

BINGO:). Shed target #1. A lot of great posts here. I'm fortunate enough to have sole permission on 5 other pieces of land and even though I let friends and some family hunt my stands- the stands curly walks by are officially not getting touched all year. Pass is my choice as I just don't think I'll be happy if I shot him this year. If I tag out on another buck- I may sit in these stands with a really nice camera and try and get some action shots of him fighting and chasing. Thanks again for all the input. My mind was mostly made up - this just helped seal the deal

I say pass. Seems 4.5 to me but he is not a giant, cool buck but not a giant. A year from now, I bet he is a no doubter. If you can't say for sure you would be pumped to put him down then that answers your question easily. Assuming you are after a giant.

Those would be some dandy sheds :D

So you shot him last year, but now he is on the pass list??? Not trying to sound like a dick.....just seems odd.

Those would be some dandy sheds :D

So you shot him last year, but now he is on the pass list??? Not trying to sound like a dick.....just seems odd.

didnt have any real pictures of him and judged the age different on the hoof as he came running in after a doe. Also was just a main frame tall rack buck with a curly brow and no junk. only reason he is NOW on the do not shoot list is he added all that junk which I want to see if it turns into big junk and better age view after cameras. Ended up being quite a blessing that he mounted that doe as I released the arrow.

I would pass him. Don't get me wrong he is a really nice deer but he looks young and to me doesn't have that wow factor.

I only once thought, "I should not have passed that deer" but it turned out being the biggest deer I ever killed the following year, I have thought "I should have passed that deer a few times since".
These are the thoughts I have had while hunting land that many other people hunt too. If I had sole rights to land like you do in this case, the decision would be even easier. I would pass and hope for the best. We can only control what we can control.
Good luck with your decision and best of luck this season.

I find it easier to think of the potential reward than to think of it as risk, some much so, that the "risk" thought, it simply is not there. It is a decision you make and be happy with, no matter that the outcome will be.

Top Bottom