Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

River access

Oct-Lull

Has anyone had a situation where they have dealt with access to a creek from a bridge? Basically from a gravel road to the creek where all the ground is private. I have read the regs but not sure I am clear on the meandering vs non meandering.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

What are you trying to do? fish, walk up/down the creek, or something else? The ditches on either side of the road and under the bride are public right of way. Non meandering essentially means the land under the water is private. the meandering vs non is more complicated than that, but that's the quickest and easiest way I've had it explained to me by the DNR. I catch a lot of bait fish from culverts and bridges and have never had an issue, but I don't venture up or down the creek at all.

My understanding is that meandered stream is public up to the high water mark. Non meandered, the water is public but the riverbed and banks are all owned by the property owner. Essentially you'd be fine until your foot touched the bottom. Comes up more with waterfowl hunting typically

What are you trying to do? fish, walk up/down the creek, or something else? The ditches on either side of the road and under the bride are public right of way. Non meandering essentially means the land under the water is private. the meandering vs non is more complicated than that, but that's the quickest and easiest way I've had it explained to me by the DNR. I catch a lot of bait fish from culverts and bridges and have never had an issue, but I don't venture up or down the creek at all.
Its not me, I have the responsibility to watch over a farm for a landowner who lives off site. There is now a group that is intermittently using the bridge to access the creek with kayaks to go 1/4 mile to get into some public hunting. To do so they have to cross private ground and the landowner has asked me to put an end to it. Three banks are to high but one spot could be accessed close to the bridge I think. That must be how they are getting to the water. I have seen many spots fenced and posted so I guess maybe asking a Warden is the safe bet.

Its not me, I have the responsibility to watch over a farm for a landowner who lives off site. There is now a group that is intermittently using the bridge to access the creek with kayaks to go 1/4 mile to get into some public hunting. To do so they have to cross private ground and the landowner has asked me to put an end to it. Three banks are to high but one spot could be accessed close to the bridge I think. That must be how they are getting to the water. I have seen many spots fenced and posted so I guess maybe asking a Warden is the safe bet.

So these are suspected law-abiding citizens, but their actions make the absentee landowner uneasy? I'd definitely seek counsel before doing anything that could land you in a courtroom

They are 100% legal as long as they are not touching creek bottom as they go through the private.

They are 100% legal as long as they are not touching creek bottom as they go through the private.
Thats the second issue, normally its not deep enough to make it without having to get out and walk. Right now its a bit high.

So these are suspected law-abiding citizens, but their actions make the absentee landowner uneasy? I'd definitely seek counsel before doing anything that could land you in a courtroom
I dont know if they are or are not, a few years back someone tried it in the dark and got stuck on a tree. Came knocking at 5 a.m. soaked and all his stuff in the creek. Some things are better left alone.

Is this landowner against corner crossing too? ;)

Sounds like a losing argument to me.
Not the same situation. There are several other access points to this public. Its not locked and he isn't trying to stop everyone from access

I see 3 options. Just assume they are only floating and being legal.
Find the shallowest spot and set up a cam to see if they are having to get out, therefore trespassing by the letter of the law.
Tip a tree over in the creek to cut off legal access.
Not sure the legality of toppling the tree but have heard it down in areas in this quadrant of state

Top Bottom