Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rocky Mountain Snypers vs. Rage 2 blade broadheads

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
It seems there is no shortage of individuals using the Rage broadheads.... I guess marketing really does work /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

However, given the price I would think more guys would use the Rocky Mountain Snyper heads. Has anyone used both of them? The Rage when fully open is slightly wider, but the angle of the blades is much more perpendicular to the shaft. It would seem to me that this would decrease penetration when comparing the two heads.

I would really like to try the Rocky Mountain Snypers... but since I like to shoot lower poundage (55lbs) I have my concerns about penetration. Though being essentially a 2 blade head I would think penetration should be more than adequate. Anyone have much of a history with the Snypers? What do you think?

That's a good point on the blade angle lowering penetration. It seems that many of the big name video people don't get pass throughs with the two bladed rages, perhaps that is why?

To answer your question I would think that 55 pounds would be sufficient for the Snypers. What blade are you shooting now and are you getting pass throughs with it?

At the lower poundage you shouldn't have to worry about your arrows planing with fixed blades, maybe that's the easiest way to go about it.

I'm trying the 2 blade Rages this year with great success this year. The wound is crazy. Two does, one went 30 yards/dropped, one went 50 yards/dropped. The second one fell down a ravine the last 15 or so to add to her total yardage...lol Full pass thru w/ 60 lbs.

Anyway just to throw something else into the mix, I ran across this last night. Never would have guessed...

http://www.ragebroadheads.com/2blade_vs_3blade.html

I guess I haven't done a ton of research on the difference. The only thing I know is this. The RM Snyper is what the rage is built off. Rage tried to get the patent on the Snyper and was unable to do so, so the owners of Rage(Field Logic) simply purchased Rocky Mountain!
Maybe they changed something on the Snyper this year I am not aware of, but I believe it is almost identical to the rage, or has been in the past.

Rocky Mountain and Rage are the same to my knowledge. Both Built in the same plant in Superior WI.

Great question Dennis...I'll just share my experience, then my opinion as I've used and shot deer with both. My first bow buck was shot with a Snyper and the remaining have been with the Rage, including the one I shot last Sunday. I'm shooting 70 pounds and I'm guessing my bow is somewhere around 280+fps. My first buck was around 25 yards quartering away severely...huge body. I shot a little back and high but caught the lung and he went approximately 60-70 yards and fell over. The arrow went in half-way and did some major damage on the inside. Last year I shot a doe and got a complete pass-through with the Rage 2-blade. She went 25 yards and crashed and when I field-dressed her, there was very little blood left in the cavity.

This year I shot my buck with the Rage at 10 yards in the "goods" right behind the shoulder and left room for error in that I didn't want to smack the shoulder blade. I hit both lungs with the Rage and my arrow was sticking out both sides but the entrance hole was immaculate. After about 50 yards we found great blood but the start of the trailing made me a little nervous.

If you want to see the video of the hits and results we could work something out as we both live in CR and you could see the differences.

My experience from myself and from friends is that most, if not all, of the does shot with Rage's get a pass-through and are amazing. The bucks that have been shot by both are a little bit tougher to get a pass-through as they cover too steep of an angle, but definitely produce TONS of damage to kill a deer even on a marginal hit.

I have Rage's in the quiver, and will be using RM Snypers on does the rest of the season to use them up. If they continue to produce well, I may just carry both in the quiver.

One thing, not that it makes a ton of difference, but the Snypers are quite a bit louder than the Rage's flying due to the rubber band holding them on...I love that the Rage's don't need a rubber band to hold them, just the O-ring to replace after a harvest.

Just my 2 cents; hope I didn't seem biased, just stating what happened to me.

Best wishes Dennis

Gladiator, I don't understand how a rubber band causes sound during arrow flight? Just curious.

Should have elaborated...you (I) can hear a pretty good 'hiss' sound that isn't near as prominent on Rage as it is from the Snypers as the arrow is flying through the air.

Maybe it is from something else, I don't know, but that is only variable I can think of besides the 3 blades versus 2.

Thoughts??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a good point on the blade angle lowering penetration. It seems that many of the big name video people don't get pass throughs with the two bladed rages, perhaps that is why?

To answer your question I would think that 55 pounds would be sufficient for the Snypers. What blade are you shooting now and are you getting pass throughs with it?

At the lower poundage you shouldn't have to worry about your arrows planing with fixed blades, maybe that's the easiest way to go about it. </div></div>

For years while using traditional equipment I shot the Magnus 4 blade head ( essentially 2 blade head with the smaller bleeder blades ) shot a heavy arrow with tremendous blood trails and great penetration (55lb recurve).... since I started using a compound bow approx. 3 years ago, I have experimented with a few different heads. I have shot the Magnus Stinger (75grain), Wasp JakHammer (75grain), and currently am shooting the Wasp Hammer SST 125grain 3 blade fixed head.

Here has been my experiences with these heads.... shot a buck in Kansas with the Magnus Stinger (shot slightly high but double lung).. zipped clear thru him like butter.. arrow looked like it was dipped in red paint... however, probably was the worst blood trail of my career. It took me over an hour on my hands and knees crawling to find spots of blood after about the first 50 yards... buck traveled approx. 150 yards. I decided the head was overall just too small in diameter at around 1 inch.

Next tried the Wasp JakHammer (75grain)... killed my last 2 bucks with these. Both deer collapsed in sight of my stand less than 75 yards. However, neither achieved full body penetration with marginal blood trails (but who needs a blood trail if you see them go down)... the buck I shot last year was at 15 yards and I doubt if half of my arrow penetrated the lung area on a broadside shot. I was very surprised by this and turned off somewhat. My mistake was not looking closer at the site of entry before taking it to the meat locker (it was after dark). Maybe I center punched a rib? So anyway that brings me to the Wasp Hammer SST 125 grain 3 blade fixed.... shot 2 large does on Saturday evening.... complete body penetration on one doe (broadside double lung) approx. 6" of nock end still sticking out. The second doe was at a sharp quartering away angle so did not get full body penetration. Both does traveled less than 100 yards.

Quite honestly the thing that has surprised me the most is that of penetration. Since switching to a compound with a much higher kinetic energy, I anticipated great penetration... but have been disappointed. I used to shoot a 550 grain arrow with my traditional setup... now shooting a 430 grain arrow. The extra speed should more than make up for the loss in weight. Maybe momentum plays a larger role in penetration than one would think..... anyway, sorry for the long post. Will likely stay with the Wasp Hammer SST fixed blades for this season.... getting great groups out to 40 yards. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gladiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should have elaborated...you (I) can hear a pretty good 'hiss' sound that isn't near as prominent on Rage as it is from the Snypers as the arrow is flying through the air.

Maybe it is from something else, I don't know, but that is only variable I can think of besides the 3 blades versus 2.

Thoughts?? </div></div>

Did you change anything in your arrow set up by chance? Fletching size, brands, type, etc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Did you change anything in your arrow set up by chance? Fletching size, brands, type, etc?</div></div>

I didn't change a thing...not sure why that is - if it is the external rubber band the snypers use or the 3 blades, or something else. It would be interesting to note if anyone else uses the snypers and has experienced the same thing. It does it on all the heads.

cornfed, i would guess that with your set up, the difference in kenetic energy switching from a 75 grain head to 125 should be pretty significant. those heavier heads should blast right through them

I've always been a Jak Hammer person, but this year I have been shooting the Undertaker by trophy ridge, and these heads are awesome. I killed 2 does Wednesday morning, shot both with the undertakers and they leave a nasty exit hole. The entrance hole is quite impressive too. Their exspensive, but well worth it in my opinion. Both broadheads are ready to use again, and extremely sharp.

Undertakers

What Gladiator said........ I too was shooting the snypers and had good success, but opted for the Rage to get away from the rubber band on front of the head that would hold the blades in place. I had only one bad experience with the Snyper, on a buck. Complete pass through, but little blood. When we found him after an aggonizing night of waiting, the holes through him looked almost as if the rubber band did not come off to allow the blades to open untill after it had penetrated into him. Entrance hole was small and resembled what I would assume you would get from a field tip. I have had much better luck with the way the rages open. I also thought the same thing about the Snypers being louder. I have had good luck though and have not had the non pass through issue except for one poorly placed shot on a doe. I took a buck last year at 35 yards and blew right through him. Maybe it was from it being a longer shot, and kinda flatter angle at that distance, I am not sure.

Cornfed--I shoot 50#, gold tip and rage 2 blade. Kenetic energy and cut on impact tip is there. Enough to break 2 ribs gion in and one comin out. GO WITH THE RAGE 2 BLADE. I have shot almost every expandable at low poundage and RAGE is the cats meow......The only tip I can give you is to make sure your quiver hasent deployed the blades, just check em every time you place arrow on your rest.

Check out the Mechanical test in Bowhunting World magazine..

I was surprised that the snypers didn't penetrate better..

Seemed like all the rear open heads didn't penatrate that well except for the G5 Teken.

The Grim Reapers were the best penatrating head of the whole bunch..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nacho is that in the latest copy? </div></div>

Either the latest issue or the issue before.... I have read the article... well written and good testing done... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom