Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rossi

JRudd

Aim small miss small.
I recently traded for a Rossi to put under the tree this year for my son(s). My oldest is 5 now, and i plan to take him on youth deer in '17. This gun has a 20ga, .243, and .22 barrel. Im sure the 20 ga barrel with managed recoil slugs will do him just fine in a years time, but i want to explore the option of a ML barrel too as i can adjust the load even more for a younger shooter. Just curious if anyone has one of these with the ML barrel, and how it performs with a lighter load before i attempt to locate one to purchase.

Also, how much powder are you running for the younger kids? If the ML barrel works out, im planning to use a 200g TC shockwave sabot. I know that bullet groups really well with 100g out of my Omega. I think 100g is super light as far as recoil, but still too rough on a 6 yr old. Is 50g too light? I prob wont let him shoot past 30 yds max, unless he keeps gettting better with his bb gun and during summer practice.

I'll punch plenty of holes with it myself beforehand and try others combinations. Just looking for a starting point from guys who have already "been there done that" :)

Thanks in advance!

Know a bunch of people who ate taking youth hunter with ML shooting 50 grains. Get them in close and you should have no problem. As far as the Rossi gun, I'm not sure what model it was but we had a Rossi ML for awhile and it performed like it was supposed to. This was quite awhile ago though so not sure if anything has changed.

I used 50 grains of Blackhorn 209 and a 200 grain bullet . My 7 year old daughter got her first deer Sunday night. Get a Caldwell field pod and I never let her shoot it before Sunday so she wasn't scared of the recoil or noise. Practiced with .22. And good luck I've been waiting to take her since she was born .
He was at 65 yards.

Last edited:
I used 50 grains of Blackhorn 209 and a 200 grain bullet . My 7 year old daughter got her first deer Sunday night. Get a Caldwell field pod and I never let her shoot it before Sunday so she wasn't scared of the recoil or noise. Practiced with .22. And good luck I've been waiting to take her since she was born .
He was at 65 yards.

Nice buck! I sure wouldn't mind paying the taxi bill for a deer like that for my boys:D

Proud daughter and dad alike! Congrats to both of you!

My kids have taken multiple deer with a 50 grain pellet and a 250 gr Barnes. So not far off from your bullet. This load is supposedly good out to 100 yards for a broad side shot. The distance my kids have taken deer are 25, 50 (x2), 60 & 90. All were one shot broadside pass throughs except the 25 yarder was a pass through spine shot that needed a follow up shot. All shots were off of either shooting sticks or a shooting rail on a tree stand. Neither kid can free hand a gun steady enough to reliably make a clean shot yet. A 50 gr muzzy load is awesome to introduce kids to deer hunting with!

On the 20 ga front. I have looked high and low for a reduced recoil sabot load and cannot find one produced anymore. Does anyone know of one? I know I can use some lower velocity sabot loads and not have a lot of kick but was hoping for a real low kick load for shots out to max 70 yards.

My kids have taken multiple deer with a 50 grain pellet and a 250 gr Barnes. So not far off from your bullet. This load is supposedly good out to 100 yards for a broad side shot. The distance my kids have taken deer are 25, 50 (x2), 60 & 90. All were one shot broadside pass throughs except the 25 yarder was a pass through spine shot that needed a follow up shot. All shots were off of either shooting sticks or a shooting rail on a tree stand. Neither kid can free hand a gun steady enough to reliably make a clean shot yet. A 50 gr muzzy load is awesome to introduce kids to deer hunting with!

On the 20 ga front. I have looked high and low for a reduced recoil sabot load and cannot find one produced anymore. Does anyone know of one? I know I can use some lower velocity sabot loads and not have a lot of kick but was hoping for a real low kick load for shots out to max 70 yards.

I havent looked for managed recoil sabot yet. The 20ga barrel on this gun is a smooth bore, so a Remington slugger w/ managed recoil, will have to do. Which should be fine out to 50-75yds or so. Unless i can find a rifled slug barrel, or muzzy barrel. Ill just have to have the smoothbore barrel tapped for a scope and i plan to put same scope on it that im going to put on the .22 barrel for him so its like shooting the same gun.

if there are managed recoil sabots, i wouldnt mind getting a hold of some. I could always put a slug barrel on the youth 870 when he gets a little bigger

The Mossberg youth 20g I got for the kinds kicks like a f'n mule. That lead me to get a T/C Impact for the kids. We are all a lot happier. Its sighted in with 70grns of Blackhorn 209. When they practice shooting it, I only load it with 30grns. They also shoot a 22 alot and we use the caldwell fieldpod also. That think is the cats meow for youth hunting.

Top Bottom