Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

i have to get me a no-till planter! next year?
I just finished planting 3 acres of beans last night and had already gotten 2 acres of corn planted around whare the beans went. now all i need is rain!!
It was very interesting doing all this as this was my first time every planting anything in this quantity before. It took a little while with a 2 row planter and a 4' disc.

the field was originally an alfalfa field that was let go and had lots of sod and grasses.

This year gave me a good idea on what type of equipment i want to purchase for next year.

Feels great to be done with that plot! still have one more farm to do but it is only about 1.5 acres.:)

Should have bought my 4 row NO-TILL planter I put on here for sale. :)
Even with a 4 row, takes me a while!!! And I have a 16' disk!! I couldn't imagine having 2 rows! Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a 12 row NO-TILL planter. I'd like a Kinze or a JD 7000 with some Kinze stuff.
Keep everyone posted on how your plots turn out!!!

Should have bought my 4 row NO-TILL planter I put on here for sale. :)

I know i kept debating and looking at it for sale and when i finally decided to just get it it was sold. I originally could not decide if i wanted a 7000 or a smaller flex planter. now i no and am kicking myself for not buying.:(

May 13th, 2011

I recently signed the paperwork on a Continuous CRP CP-23 Wetland Restoration contract that allows me to protect my bottom land from eroding due to constant flooding. A little over and acre was never reported however so I took advantage of that to add that to my centralized food plots that will now be surrounded by timber and NWSG.

Previously in soybeans the ground worked up easily thanks to drier weather recently

CIMG2778.jpg

With urea being my best source of nitrogen I disced in 300#'s of urea and 400#'s of 6-28-28

CIMG2779.jpg

CIMG2780.jpg

Bagged urea was $15.50 a bag and 6-28-28 $19.50 a bag for a total of $250 an acre....to expensive to take a chance on getting sufficient rainfall within 24 hours or loosing the nitrogen, I disk it in.

CIMG2782.jpg

CIMG2783.jpg

I planted more free RR seed corn
CIMG2784.jpg

of course deer won't eat it unless the rows are straight... ;)

CIMG2786.jpg

It's a good feeling at days end to have another field planted...

Endoftheday.jpg

the corn I planted April 15th finally decided to come up after the cold wet weather patterns changed to warm and sunny!

IMG_0017.jpg

The soybeans have been in the ground about a week and are popping up too!

IMG_0019.jpg

I sprayed the corn with 1.75 pints Dual II Magnum after planting...now for just the right amount of sun and rain this summer.... :way:

Here's a caution for those using Dual II Magnum for pre-emerge weed control

Dry weather following an application of Dual II MAGNUM or a tank mixture may reduce effectiveness. Cultivate if weeds
develop
One away around that is to spray just before planting and lightly incorporate the herbicide with tillage. If RR crops are planted then simply spray with gly if weeds do emerge but if planting conventional crops there are still alternatives.

Impact is a post emergence herbicide safe and effective on corn and controls a long list of both broadleaf and annual grass weeds.

Impact Label

More about Impact

Clethodim can of course be used on soybeans to control grasses but NOT on corn! Most soybeans are likely to be RR so weed control is simplified for beans but it's always nice to have options for post emergence weed control in conventional corn and beans.... ;)

Can Impact be applied to RR beans? I have RR beans and conventional corn planted together, what are my post emergent spraying options?

Just found out the free seed I got is RR!!! I needed some good news this soggy Wednesday morning.

Just found out the free seed I got is RR!!! I needed some good news this soggy Wednesday morning.

I haven't hardly seen seed anymore that's not round-up ready. Most people don't realize it and they see that little label somewhere on the bag. All the free seed I've got is RR too. Great news! Sure doesn't mean folks can't add stuff like Cadet, Dual, etc to things- I sure will, saves a lot of spraying and stress on the plants!

Hi Paul,

Great looking new tractor, how is it working out for you? I would like to upgrade to a larger model; however, I need to put a few more hours on mine first.

BTW, My switchgrass is already six inches high here in Northwest Lower Michigan. This is early for this part on the country!

Take care,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Great looking new tractor, how is it working out for you? I would like to upgrade to a larger model; however, I need to put a few more hours on mine first.

BTW, My switchgrass is already six inches high here in Northwest Lower Michigan. This is early for this part on the country!

Take care,

Paul

Great tractor and suits my needs well...keep us posted on your switch growth this summer Paul...:way:

May 28th, 2011

Check of soybeans not-tilled into various crops....

Last seasons brassicas on the right and killed winter rye on the left

IMG_0030-1.jpg

The areas previously in brassicas are already fairly clean

IMG_0031-1.jpg

Winter rye stubble helps protect the beans and is easily killed with gly

IMG_0036.jpg

The rye is easily killed but the clover is not...

IMG_0037.jpg

Soybeans no-tilled into spent brassica strips with rye and red clover left standing on either side and in this case surprisingly enough deer were focusing on the Alta-Swede red clover rather then the baby beans. I suspect that will change soon...

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Soybeans on my own farm no-tilled into killed sod/alfalfa

IMG_0063.jpg

Fenced to protect them for now

IMG_0064-Copy.jpg

Don Higgins beans on the right and standard ag beans on the left

IMG_0065-Copy.jpg

Note that deer still have copious amounts of lush food sources to keep them coming year around even though the beans are fenced for now.

IMG_0068.jpg

Soybeans no-tilled into winter rye and the rye left standing....the baby beans are as of yet unmolested despite being in an unfenced area, if left alone the rye will eventually mature and just fall over and slowly fade away leaving the beans to take over. Interesting to note that there is not a weed to be found as of yet....;)

Soybeansinrye.jpg

I gotta get me a no-till. That looks good and seems like it would save much time.
When is it ok to no till and when should you disc and plant?
I disced up five acres of sod and alph-alpha with a 4' disc. That took me a while as i had to disc twice and drag once.
Next year i will be buying new equipment and replaceing what i broke this year. No till is on the list.
I have just wandered when it is and isnt good to no till.

I'm a full-time farmer and also plant a bunch of food plots. I've no-tilled into almost every residue you can imagine. By far the biggest factor in no-till success is weed/grass control PRIOR to planting. You can no-till into grass sod IF you have previously killed the grass AND your no-till planter can cut thru the sod and place your seed correctly. Work the ground to incorporate lime or fertilizer. Of course weed control after planting is important, but round-up has made that simple with corn and beans.

I'm a full-time farmer and also plant a bunch of food plots. I've no-tilled into almost every residue you can imagine. By far the biggest factor in no-till success is weed/grass control PRIOR to planting. You can no-till into grass sod IF you have previously killed the grass AND your no-till planter can cut thru the sod and place your seed correctly. Work the ground to incorporate lime or fertilizer. Of course weed control after planting is important, but round-up has made that simple with corn and beans.

These beans were planted last year over the 4th of July holiday, then I went back the next day to spray the sod...worked like a charm and the 7000 did not even have any no-till coulters on them.

Beans-1.jpg

Some of you may be trying out electric fencing for deer this year and may find that some still jump even the double fence. I have detailed instructions on building E fence and also how I overcame the problem with "jumpers" in my thread on electric fencing on Outreach Outdoors.

Here's a link if you need more info...

Equipment thread

I bought a new sprayer...some good info on that as well in that thread...;)

Thanks for posting that. I'm already working on gathering supplies for next year. I've got about a mile of old fence to take down with tons of "free" T-posts.

"Free" = Fencing supplies for hours of sweat and hard work in an area inaccessible to the tractor;)

June 10th, 2011

This is the 4th year in a row we have been inundated with non-stop heavy rainfall here in SE Iowa and I am thankful that my ground is "well drained" and my corn is not drowning...yet...

IMG_5091.jpg

The Dual II Magnum herbicide is keeping it pretty clean despite the heavy rainfall that often leaches residual acting herbicides beyond the effective zone.

IMG_5113.jpg

The only weeds that seem to get past Dual are velvetleaf but a does of glyphosate on the RR corn will take care of that problem... ;)

IMG_5112.jpg

The wet weather is prompting an explosion of foxtail in this soybean plot but it's far from being a problem yet. Real World soybeans in this picture...

IMG_5087.jpg

The RR ag soybeans look great and are really taking off with the onset of some hot humid weather this past week.

IMG_5088.jpg

A dose of gly in a few weeks will clean up the foxtail problem and allow the beans to canopy and hopefully negate the need for anymore herbicide applications.

IMG_5089.jpg

Great to watch the beans grow safely tucked behind the electric fence.... :way:

Looks amazing! What seed population did you seed at with your corn?
The beans in those pictures the "free beans" we all got?

Looks amazing! What seed population did you seed at with your corn?
The beans in those pictures the "free beans" we all got?

32,000 on the corn but I was running out as I got to the end so it's a little thin there. All the corn and bean seed is the free seed we got last fall Skip...;)

Top Bottom