Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

roundup ready soybean question

DGorman

Last year I got a partial bag of roundup ready soybeans from a guy I work with and planted them behind my house as a cover crop/wildlife food source for the winter. I left them stand and there was a surprising number left this spring. I mowed them off and tilled the ground but before I could plant anything I noticed a lot of them have germinated and are growing quite well. My question is, are these plants also going to be resistant to roundup, or do they lose the trait as a second generation plant? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm no farmer and I don't know anyone who has ever been in this situation.

They should be resistant to gly, as a I know you get in deep do do if you keep beans from last year to replant. The seed companies want their royalties.

Yes they will be resistant to RoundUp. Spray them with 2-4d at a rate of 6 oz. per acre and it will smoke them.

2,4-d if u want to kill em but if u want to produce & not kill- no. Yes- Roundup ready. Technically not legal but with ur situation u will not catch flack.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm curious why it wouldn't be legal. I realize what JNRBronc is saying about seed companies wanting their money, but are you saying there is actually a law saying you can't do this? Even if there is no crop income or harvest?

Its illegal to plant beans out of the bin, you just have volunteer seed coming back. Not the same.

Yes- illegal to plant seed from ur crops. (Scott pry right on volunteer crops but i don't know bout that angle). Roundup is Monsanto and the genetic modification that makes them roundup resistant is protected by law even on subsequent crops. A large Midwest farmer took a large case up the courts and lost. Monsanto owns that technology that still exists in that seed.

Last edited:
Not the question on this thread per say, but I started looking into the legalities of this when I asked about planting bin run beans in another thread a month ago. Monsanto's patent expired this year on their Gen 1 beans. So, you can now save and plant those. However, the Genuity Roundup Ready 2 beans are still covered by patent. So, you can't plant "bin run" beans because it is a mix of beans from all sorts of seeds. But, if you had access to pure harvested RR beans that were not RR2 you can now legally plant them.

http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/pages/roundup-ready-patent-expiration.aspx

Last edited:
That makes sense. These were never harvested. I just mowed them and tilled the ground and they're growing totally volunteer. Sounds like I will hit it with some roundup and overseed another cover crop to fill in the gaps. I'm actually really surprised how well they're doing considering I wasn't intending for any them to grow.

Thanks guys. I'm curious why it wouldn't be legal. I realize what JNRBronc is saying about seed companies wanting their money, but are you saying there is actually a law saying you can't do this? Even if there is no crop income or harvest?

Used to sign a contract when buying seed that said I wouldn't replant RR beans harvested as a commercial product for sale.

Maybe a patent has expired, but I think the legal issue was selling or feeding the soybeans to livestock (making a profit). As a "non-profit" food plot, I doubt there would be an issue.

Used to sign a contract when buying seed that said I wouldn't replant RR beans harvested as a commercial product for sale.

Maybe a patent has expired, but I think the legal issue was selling or feeding the soybeans to livestock (making a profit). As a "non-profit" food plot, I doubt there would be an issue.

When I researched, it became clear that replanting for any purpose was technically illegal prior to this spring for Gen 1 beans.

Seems to be a coincidence that the patent ran out about the same time weeds developed a resistance. The last 2 years we have struggled to get good control with round up only.

Top Bottom