Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RR clover

TimberPig

Yesterday I was down at the local NRCS talking to one of their field guys about something to plant for firebreaks in a NWSG planting. He mentioned that he thought somebody had come up with a Round-up ready clover. I mentioned that I had heard some talk about it but not that it was on the market. He was pretty sure it had hit the market in the last year or so though. Does anybody have any info on this? Sounds like a foodplot dream come true and I cant believe it wouldnt be all over forums like this.

I haven't heard of it yet but it certainly could be true! Worth doing some checking on for sure!

I heard that it is out but has been in very short supply. I never really heard though whether it was a white or red clover. I guess more research is in order.

Must have been alfalfa I was thinking- no wonder I never heard if it was red or white.
grin.gif

We'll see at the next election but I'm guessing things are going to grow red in Iowa.

Thanks for the info boys. Looks like we might have to wait on this one a while longer. I didnt really want a pure alfalfa plot and wanted to mix in some clover so the RR wouldnt do much good yet.
Again, this area will be a firebreak around my NWSG. I had hoped to go with a mix of alfalfa / clover so the area would act as a bonus foodplot. But the NRCS tech said I have to plant a considerable amount of sod forming cool season grass in this mix to make it qualify. Considering that, I'm not sure why he brought up the RR clover. I imagine the grass will significantly reduce the length of time it will be a "bonus foodplot" like I had hoped.

Some of the acceptable plants on the list included birdsfoot trefoil, ladino clover, and red clover. Anybody know of a cool season grass that wont out compete the clovers?

Timothy might not be as bad as brome but I think almost all grasses will eventually crowd out the clovers. Guess it depends on if anyone is really going to check and see if you have any grass in your clover...
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Timothy might not be as bad as brome but I think almost all grasses will eventually crowd out the clovers. Guess it depends on if anyone is really going to check and see if you have any grass in your clover...
waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that thought occured to me too!

Top Bottom