Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RR Corn?

JEG

I planted some RR corn a week ago. I did'nt spray or till beforehand and there's allot of weeds emerging. Is it ok to spray roundup now? The corn has'nt emerged yet but should any day.

You can spray it at any time. I usually try to time it so I only have to spray once but always till the ground prior to planting. Spraying this early you may want to spray it twice.

You can spray at any time. Corn hates early competition. You are limited to how much glyphosate you can apply in a growing season. You can either apply it all in one application or split it into two passes. I would aim for two applications. One now, followed by another a week or so before canopy (when the corn shades the rows). Once canopied, the corn will help stop weed growth.

I'd get something on the field soon as it will take a few days for the herbicide to kill what is growing.

Don't wait to long to spray...or it will end up looking like mine did last year.
smirk.gif

RR corn

On small growing weeds you can get away with a smaller rate then larger established weeds or tough grasses too.

I wouldn't apply Dual to corn that is spiked, if it is. I would do a split shot of Round up. You can put up to 64 oz an acre per year. If weed competition is bad, run 28-32oz first pass, then 22oz second pass. That should keep you corn clean for the year.

[ QUOTE ]
How about tank mixing the Glypho with Dual Magnum ...for longer action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dual Magnum is a pre-emergent herbicide and if the corn was planted 7 days ago, it has to be real close to emergence. There is probably a safer alternative, but I'm not that versed in herbicides.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't apply Dual to corn that is spiked, if it is. I would do a split shot of Round up. You can put up to 64 oz an acre per year. If weed competition is bad, run 28-32oz first pass, then 22oz second pass. That should keep you corn clean for the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the label it is possible to apply Dual post-emergence but it is very expensive and nannyslayer is the expert in this field...so I would take his advice and apply the proper rates of RUP at the right times.

I have applied Dual post emerge (per the label it may be applied until corn reaches 40" high) with good results.

That was in conventional corn though and 2 shots of round up is cheaper and more convenient to purchase.

[ QUOTE ]
I have applied Dual post emerge (per the label it may be applied until corn reaches 40" high) with good results.

That was in conventional corn though and 2 shots of round up is cheaper and more convenient to purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is on the label for post corn, but I have seen Dual "Pinch" ears and have twisted stalks, much like Steadfast will do.

I was just reading something in one of the farming mags about pinched ears, wouldn't that have to be at or after V-8 to do that?

That's shorter than 40" but what I did was like V-3 give or take and saw no ear pinching or twisted stalks.

I did this on a 3/4 acre plot for the deer not a production field.

I plan on spiking my Roundup with a little Guardsman Max for residual control - can be applied up until the corn is about a foot tall (but you have to have a Pesticide applicator license for this one - its a restricted use herbicide)

[ QUOTE ]
I was just reading something in one of the farming mags about pinched ears, wouldn't that have to be at or after V-8 to do that?

That's shorter than 40" but what I did was like V-3 give or take and saw no ear pinching or twisted stalks.

I did this on a 3/4 acre plot for the deer not a production field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pinched ears and twisted stalks occur more when the growing point leaves the ground (V5 to V6). Dual is not as common to do this as Steadfast is. Dual is realitivly safe for corn that is spiked or V2-V5, but the grass in the plot is probably already up, and it will not control the grasses then. You are right, Dual is labeled for corn up to 40 inches, but just remember, the later you spray corn with a grass herbicide, the more you run a risk on damaging the plant. I was just recommending that for a food plot, the Round up would be cheaper, and more effective on the grasses and the broadleaves.

[ QUOTE ]
I plan on spiking my Roundup with a little Guardsman Max for residual control - can be applied up until the corn is about a foot tall (but you have to have a Pesticide applicator license for this one - its a restricted use herbicide)

[/ QUOTE ]

Guardsman Max is a great herbicide. We usually go through about 2800 gallon of the stuff every spring. It will really help with grasses, and broadleafs.

Joel
We sprayed so "RR ready" corn about 10 miles from your place last year....long story short....it wasn't round up ready
blush.gif

RR corn and soybeans are awesome, but you don't want to plant them year after year after year in fear of selecting for glyposate resistant weeds.

Is everyone rotating out every second or third year?

We went with IMI corn one season. It probably wasn't the cheapest route to shuffle up the herbicide program but going "over the top" with one application sure is nice.

[ QUOTE ]
RR corn and soybeans are awesome, but you don't want to plant them year after year after year in fear of selecting for glyposate resistant weeds.

Is everyone rotating out every second or third year?

We went with IMI corn one season. It probably wasn't the cheapest route to shuffle up the herbicide program but going "over the top" with one application sure is nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point which is why I'm trying to use RUP more as a backup/cleanup then total herbicide program.

Using a pre-emergent as the main herbicide is better IMO.

Top Bottom