Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rubbing & Scrape Post

smithhunter1975

I know it has been posted somewhere before, but cannot find it. I see many of you are setting a tree post with branches/grape vines in your plots for licking branches and scrapes near treestands. I have never done this but plan to this year. What species of tree/post work best for both the rubbing post and licking branches? How is the best way to attach the licking branches to the rubbing post and what height have you found works the best? I was planning to bury a 3" piece of PVC pipe in the ground and screw through the pipe sleeve into the rubbing post, does this work well? Any other thoughts/advice on what you have found works best/easiest?

Basswood also works really well. But they knocked one of mine over (I didn’t secure it enough).

I read a few of you guys are starting to put them out now. Is it too early where the posts will dry out before rubbing starts? Should I wait until end September or go ahead and put them out now?

I read a few of you guys are starting to put them out now. Is it too early where the posts will dry out before rubbing starts? Should I wait until end September or go ahead and put them out now?
I like the 2nd week of September for putting them out. I wait till then because I want them to "take" as quickly as possible. I water the hole before backfilling if the ground is dry.
Once they start on one they'll usually hit it all fall if done correctly. You have to put it where they are regularly traveling. They aren't going to come to it from a great distance. I use them for inventory and I rarely miss any. RCNX0172.JPGRCNX0081.JPGRCNX0437.JPG

This thread was pretty epic. Cedar is still my go to.

I know it has been posted somewhere before, but cannot find it. I see many of you are setting a tree post with branches/grape vines in your plots for licking branches and scrapes near treestands. I have never done this but plan to this year. What species of tree/post work best for both the rubbing post and licking branches? How is the best way to attach the licking branches to the rubbing post and what height have you found works the best? I was planning to bury a 3" piece of PVC pipe in the ground and screw through the pipe sleeve into the rubbing post, does this work well? Any other thoughts/advice on what you have found works best/easiest?
We use grape vines and white pine beaches as much as possible. Add weight to the beach if it’s not hanging down far enough (3ft off the ground). Hemp ropes work pretty good too but we prefer the natural materials. Spray the ground with roundup in the summer to kill the vegetation. That is usually enough to get them to start using the scrape but keep in mind location is key. For example, the edge of cover or a few feet off a heavily used trail

Set up my first 4 days ago. So far a couple dinks showed up, expecting it to get hit hard in a couple weeks. Cedar with a white pine branch inserted into a hole drilled at an angle and inserted a screw to secure it. Should be able to replace as needed.

aa3eae57-6acd-42ac-961d-8e91f576fff4.jpg

Shorty 10 showed up, still haven't had a buck actually rub or scrape yet. It does hold them there long enough for a shot though, only gets better from here.

short 10.jpg

Top Bottom