Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut Behavior

billymoiv

Last weekend while hunting in Southeastern Iowa, I kicked up an 8 point buck and his doe. On 2 occasions, they were sitting fairly tight in some tall brush and didn't run away until I came to within 15 yards of them. At the end of the day, I saw them again and they were in the exact spot that they were in a few hours earlier and only 100 yards away from where they jumped up in the morning. It seems like they are reluctant to leave the area. If I had known they were coming back, I could have camped out in the brush and gotten a good shot at the buck. This is my first season of bowhunting so I don't know if this is normal behavior during the rut. Has anyone experienced this before? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Chances are that buck was holding that doe to that area so he didn't have to share her with anyone. That's common for the the breeding stage of the rut. Bucks who have hot does will go out of their way to keep them away from common travel areas where other prowling bucks might be looking. Hope that helps.
CRITRGITR

Top Bottom