Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut Intensity

I have hunted areas with extremely high doe populations and areas with extemely low populations. About the only thing I can say with the low population is grunting seems to work much better. I think when you have a high population The big boys don't move as much because they have their doe already somewhere. With the low population it seems if there is one hot doe there will be 5+ bucks with her but if you aren't around her you don't see squat. It is all a crap shoot anymore.

I don't know if I am smoking something good or what but I remember back when NW wind was the norm and it always seemed to be 20 degrees out in November. Now it seems to be 40-60 degrees and hard blowing South winds. I just wonder if that is the main culprit. Even my trail cams didn't even really show bucks following does. Lots of lone bucks looking but nothing trailing does like I suspected.

Even when I am not seeing squat though I still enjoy my time in the woods. November 10th was by far the best morning I ever had in my life. I must of had several hot does in the area because I saw 21 bucks, shot my buck and saw 6 does.

Pressure is huge!!
Way more hunters today than ever, 7500 Early Muzz and all sold out 4 years running.
More kids hunting early than ever, More camera checking than ever, More late fall food plotting/tree trimming etc, simply more people in all the timbers.

However lowering doe population helps, this keeps buck on their feet not sleeping with their girl friend.

I don't think pressure is the main culprit. Even guys with large farms like Bill Winke say things have been off the last couple years. I lean towards the warm weather being the problem and this year's full moon/clear skies combo was no bueno! Over the last 4 years it seems that things would get going a bit for me when it was colder but as soon as the warm front hits the brakes are put on.

I have hunted areas with extremely high doe populations and areas with extemely low populations. About the only thing I can say with the low population is grunting seems to work much better. I think when you have a high population The big boys don't move as much because they have their doe already somewhere. With the low population it seems if there is one hot doe there will be 5+ bucks with her but if you aren't around her you don't see squat. It is all a crap shoot anymore.

I totally believe in having the right ratio of bucks/does.

The areas that have a high numbers of does is not where

I want to hunt. The mature deer do not need to look very

far for a lady. The areas that have fewer does IMO are the areas

that I want to be. More searching from the big boys.

I think with the full moon, temps. buck/doe ratio are the three main

problems I see with the rut intensity.

The number of hunters may have an affect also.

I believe that buck to doe ratio equals bigger bucks, and will make bucks search farther. But it ruins the ruts..

Let me make this Simple. Dedgez, Risto, Nanny and Gundog are going to the bar. There are 6 women there. Nanny (1.5yr), at 7 o clock runs in and checks everyone there and takes the first one that talks to him home. Gundog and Dedge (3.5-4.5) show up at 8:00 ready to roll. They beat the snot out of each other but manage to take 2 women a piece home because of there shear studliness, although gundog got the hotter ones due to good looks and brute strength.... Now Risto (9 yr old) Walks in, it's only nine o'clock but the parties already over... All the women were taken and in extremely short order... Day late and a dollar short old man.

THE RUT IS CONDENSED. Even when does are coming into estrus at different times, there are only so many does to breed. And the reason it was spread out in the past, is because I believe there were even some does that had the potential to be missed the first time around. Think about it, what will have a better rut? 600 does being bred by 100 bucks, or 200 does being bred by 200 bucks.

We have done all of this to ourselves. With the help of a friendly push, by yours truly, the DNR.

IOWA LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.

Last edited:
I believe that buck to doe ratio equals bigger bucks, and will make bucks search farther. But it ruins the ruts..

Let me make this Simple. Dedgez, Risto, Nanny and Gundog are going to the bar. There are 6 women there. Nanny (1.5yr), at 7 o clock runs in and checks everyone there and takes the first one that talks to him home. Gundog and Dedge (3.5-4.5) show up at 8:00 ready to roll. They beat the snot out of each other but manage to take 2 women a piece home because of there shear studliness, although gundog got the hotter ones due to good looks and brute strength.... Now Risto (9 yr old) Walks in, it's only nine o'clock but the parties already over... All the women were taken and in extremely short order... Day late and a dollar short old man.

THE RUT IS CONDENSED. Even when does are coming into estrus at different times, there are only so many does to breed. And the reason it was spread out in the past, is because I believe there were even some does that had the potential to be missed the first time around. Think about it, what will have a better rut? 600 does being bred by 100 bucks, or 200 does being bred by 200 bucks.

We have done all of this to ourselves. With the help of a friendly push, by yours truly, the DNR.

This is a brilliant comparison, except we all know Tony would be in bed by 9 O'Clock.... HAHHAHAHAAHA Old guys, sheesh.... ;) :grin: :moon:

:drink1:

I believe your analogy is somewhat correct, but the other way around. Stay with me for a second........ :D:D:D

The most mature/dominant buck(risto) would go in first and take the first (available) female and then GunDog and Dedgeez would fight over the next few with of course dedgeez getting his pick, and then Nanny and all his other 1.5 year old buddies would run around like idiots chasing the rest.

I think this is more accurate to what we've been seeing the last few years. Seems like the big boys are visible around the end of October first part of November and then it's a bunch of dinks the next week or so! Risto can only breed so many does and by the time he wakes up from his nap, the pickens may be pretty slim for the 2nd go around!

Let me make this Simple. Dedgez, Risto, Nanny and Gundog are going to the bar. There are 6 women there. Nanny (1.5yr), at 7 o clock runs in and checks everyone there and takes the first one that talks to him home. Gundog and Dedge (3.5-4.5) show up at 8:00 ready to roll. They beat the snot out of each other but manage to take 2 women a piece home because of there shear studliness, although gundog got the hotter ones due to good looks and brute strength....Now Risto (9 yr old) Walks in, it's only nine o'clock, having bred the six women the night before and yes a little tired and sore from the last one leaving at 6 o'clock decides to have a little drink and relaxation waiting for the next one to come into heat. :D

Here you go Nick I fixed it for you.

Never under estimate the wisdom of an old man.

This is a brilliant comparison, except we all know Tony would be in bed by 9 O'Clock.... HAHHAHAHAAHA Old guys, sheesh.... ;) :grin: :moon:

:drink1:

Thomas,

I think it was a tie between you and Nick on who went to bed first the
last time I hunted with both of you.
I was still up and ready to go the next morning way after both of you boys went to bed. :drink1::moon:

I believe your analogy is somewhat correct, but the other way around. Stay with me for a second........ :D:D:D

The most mature/dominant buck(risto) would go in first and take all the available females and then GunDog and Dedgeez would fight over the next few with of course dedgeez getting his pick with Risto watching by making sure he does not get the hottest one (Even though Risto could put a whoppin on both of them he knows he would hurt in the morning.) :D Gundog and Nanny and all his other 1.5 year old buddies would run around like idiots chasing the rest of course going empty handed again.

I think this is more accurate to what we've been seeing the last few years. Seems like the big boys are visible around the end of October first part of November and then it's a bunch of dinks the next week or so! Risto could breed all the does by himself but being a standup guy would let Dedgeez share in the fun and by the time Nick and Nanny wake up from their midday nap notice the pickens may be pretty slim for the 2nd go around.

Sounds better now guys.

Man a old guy has to stay on his toes around you guys. :way:

WOW, now it's starting to sound a little far fetched! :D

On a side note, Maybe this spring we should all have a turkey camp and see if any of this intense rutting behavior can be witnessed? Risto you can pick the bar. I think Nick and I will clean up on the females and you and Thomas will probably be back at the cabin by 7. :D The only thing Thomas will be taking home is a doggy bag from the buffet!

Can a non-resident lurk in that bar?:drink2:

On a side note, Maybe this spring we should all have a turkey camp and see if any of this intense rutting behavior can be witnessed? Risto you can pick the bar. I think Nick and I will clean up on the females and you and Thomas will probably be back at the cabin by 7. :D The only thing Thomas will be taking home is a doggy bag from the buffet!

I am in. After watching Nick sleep after 2 beers a couple weekends ago and watching Thomas doing the same thing a few years ago I am game.

You young guys are at a disadvantage though. Your females will get a little jealous while mine is just glad I am not bothering her. :D

By shooting so many does I believe we've all tampered with mother nature's natural process and thus are seeing the effects of it with super slow ruts. Just my theory. I'm not saying that does shouldn't be shot, but its been overdone in most areas.

I have a spot where it gets hunted heavily for does every year and I saw basically no rut action there, even with seeing a group of 2 or 3 does per sit. On another farm that I hunt there are still tons of does and I saw good, consistent action all season. Before the rifle seasons the first farm I mentioned was a rut hunting mecca, now its mediocre at best.

I am in. After watching Nick sleep after 2 beers a couple weekends ago and watching Thomas doing the same thing a few years ago I am game.

You young guys are at a disadvantage though. Your females will get a little jealous while mine is just glad I am not bothering her. :D

A. I came to hunt and didnt sleep in till Noon.
B. I was tired after making meat all day.

The only thing Thomas will be taking home is a doggy bag from the buffet!

:moon:
You are so lucky you live on the opposite side of the state.... But, I'll say this, a doggy bag full of extra rib tips is far better than a crotch critter, SCHMUCK!

:thrwrck:

:grin:

Keep dreamin pup. If this was a real scenario, I would have all the ladies bred by 8, home in bed by 10.

Top Bottom