Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut? No Rut?

I sat this morning in Central Iowa and saw 12 does and a small buck. All of the does were bothered by nothing and a few had fawns with them still. It's early yet.

Went out this weekend near Winterset, saw 2 mature bucks - 150 at first light on Sunday, lightly chasing a doe around a hay field. The other was Sunday evening about 5:00. Shooter 8 lightly sparring with a decent 10. Tried some calling (grunt & light rattling) but they had no interest. Rattled in a spike and small 6 on Monday morning just after sun-up, but no other chasing seen. I'd say it's still early down here; next week should be good all week.

Occasional doe may be in here and there....hence the big blowups on certain farms. Good enough reason to get out now. A few more showing up on I-80, not serious yet. My areas have stayed pretty predictable. Small guys on there feet, does still grouped up and not being harassed to badly. I would say we are right on target for Nov 6-12th to be chaos fest.

This is the Rutting moon we usually get in November, days are getting shorter, less light hence the trigger.

I saw 4 different bucks locked in on a single die who was obviously in heat. All were subordinate bucks with a mature buck cruising the area about 1/2 mile away.

Warm weather keeps them tucked in a little longer in the evening and as the sun sets it seems to explode.

Everyday will get better, morning hunts I sweat a hell of a lot less.

Next week looks the same weather wise until the weekend and my favorite days look awesome that second week.

Good luck to all Iowa Bowhunters!

One of my spots looks a little slow yet. Another area i hunt the bucks are on the does big time. The chase ought to be starting any time.
11gd.jpg
10dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg
09jh.jpg
09bh.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom