Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut Predictions 2014

jatorto

RazorbkBuckKiller
Does anyone else feel that the rut may hit early this year? I have already seen a few active scrapes and rubs in the field. Shortly after the last full moon a couple weeks ago, I saw two good bucks fighting. I have also seen smaller bucks following does around. The leaves are changing colors and starting to fall off the trees. Everything just seems to be happening early so far. Another thing is that the November full moon is on the 6th this year. Last year it was the 17th. I am sure the rut will be going strong about the same time as normal, but I am slightly concerned. All my vacation is planned starting Nov 6th, and I am worried that the peak of the rut may be as early as the last few weeks of October with the things are going. Has anyone experienced a year where the rut goes early and is done by the first week of Nov? I am just wondering what your thoughts are.

This happens every year don't worry... Even if it is early the better hunting is before and after the peak rut

As far as temps effect on it, well you know what I will say. Think I will be begging for it to cool down yet the first week of Nov. Don't quite understand it but every year guys in IA start saying they see some buck activity early on,yet around my area of SE IA I don't see hardly a thing scrape or even rub wise until Nov?

Don't worry it will be the same time as last year and every year before that. You are taking off at a good time but will it be a exciting rut that is the question I personally haven't seen a good rut for 5 years now and I hunt at least 5 days every week the whole month of November so we will see

Be the same as it has been for at least the past 20 years....

What you see may be different than what really is going on.

I wouldn't adjust your vacation the 6th-15th seem to be dynamite every year for rut action. Adjust your tactics to what you see. If you're not feeling you're in the right spot then make adjustments and be mobile.

Either rubbing off velvet or yearling bucks reaching puberty starts a little rub/scrape hysteria every year. It will happen when it happens, just like every other year... For me, early to mid-November is when I want to be in my stand as much as possible.

Yep, I've got some rubbing action and some scraping (not much) around and also a fight on camera in early September. Just setting pecking order. I'm sure most activity is normal and maybe more the youngsters getting ready! I too haven't seen a good rut (in the sense of multiple bucks chasing a doe or a good buck fight) since '09 or '10, but I probably just wasn't where the action was the past few years. Had a little bit of action in '12, with one good chase scene by one buck and doe, but other than that it was always just one buck nosing around some does or cruisin'. '09 had an epic chase by two decent mature bucks, ending with one of them bedding down with the doe at about 50-60 yards from me in the brush while 7 or 8 other younger bucks gathered around to wait. Longest I've ever had to sit still in the stand with deer around me...around 3-4 hours! Too bad it ended with the tending buck getting uneasy about me and walking off! But then I got to see all the youngsters chase the doe around again!

Sometime between halloween and thanksgiving. Its area to area. Ive sat daylight to dark on one farm and witness zero activity and check a camera just a few miles away and had bucks moving all hrs of the day.
Go where your gut tells you and stay there as long as the wind is correct for where you most likely expect them to move through. Stay all day.
Ever since i started setting up in the thick stuff and sitting all day in november the ammount of actual rut activity i see has sky rocketed.

Look up the meridean passing for November. Pretty sure the best dates are 15-20th? Some time right around there at least, with mornings being the best time to hunt.
At least, that's when I'm taking my vacation.

Top Bottom