Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut Question????

halielynn1

I have been hunting hard all last week and this week until today. I decided to return to work and give it a break.

I am very confused in the activity that I have been seeing. I have been hunting some very good areas that have produced quality deer in the past. This year I am seeing little or no activity. I am very cautious about the wind and scent control. Infact, I have not been on one farm at all because of the wind direction.

I have heard from many other hunters about all the quality bucks that they have been seeing. Part of me says that the mature bucks are in "Lock-Down" mode. However if that's the case, they only spend about 72 hours with a doe and then they are on the move again. Also, they are not all with doe's at the same time so you should see them periodically.

What do you think? What are you seeing?

I have not been out as much this week as last but when I have been it's been slow. Tues. morning in a proven travel corridor in which I have seen most of my shooter opportunities in the last three seasons. NO DEER till 10:45 AM on a beautiful, cold clear crisp morning. Three bucks cruising and one lone doe-fawn from 10:45 till 12:15 (last buck a upper 30's to low 40's ten about 40 yards out of range). I am hoping the next 7-10 days means not necessarily more deer sightings but hopefully more MATURE deer sightings as the big boys look for those last few unbred does ?? A guy has gotta hope doesn't he /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Overall deer sightings for me were a fraction of a normal year UNTIL the couple hundred acres of corn came out across the road this Monday. Then it finally returned to normal. I've been saying all year they were holed up over there and it turned out to be the case. This large piece of corn (and perhaps others I don't know about) were affecting another spot of mine a solid mile or more away as the crow flies. Same thing there, they all baled back in the very evening the corn came out.

I'm in eastern iowa also. I haven't really seen any rut activity other than that by younger bucks and I've spent quite a bit of time in a tree the last month and a half. My buddy hasn't been seeing much either. He had 13 does come out of a corn field a week ago with no bucks around that he saw at least.
I think now it's a mix between lock down and to much damn corn up where I am at least.

I am still seeing Does with their fawns. That is very odd for this time of year.

Is there such this as a "Slow Rut"?

I hunt eastern iowa as well and have been having the same luck as the rest. Lots of corn up around me. Had the whole week off from work and did not see any rutting activity except some chasing on saturday. Have not been seeing hardly any does only young basket racks?! Lots and lots of six pointers on down. Went out tonight and saw lots of does and basket racks. Oh well, at least I'm seeing something...

It has been a trickle rut for me as well. Relatively little traditional rut activity. I have had similar reports from friends. Sunday at first light I did see five bucks all in the same field - two were in the 140s, the rest were dinks. I believe they are in lock down right now - did an all day today and saw zero deer.

same for me , i just started seeing normal rut After a feild was picked next to me, even driving around , i just started seeing some bruisers in places i cant hunt, sunday - monday the 17th. during the day, im going to concentrate on ridges where i think bucks are cruising, afternoon, ill hunt the FRESHLY picked corn feilds, i truely think with the rainy, windy weather last week their, backed things up 5 days or so.im taking friay off, -working sat-sunday, then taking mon thru - thursday off.i think the best is yet to come, if im wrong, ill try rattling, ect,hoping to hit the post rut i guess. any thoughts? i may be wrong, it may be going on but i think this whole yr has been messed up.

I live in southeast Iowa, and I've been experiencing the same thing. The only part for me that has been different is I have seen at least one really big bug a week (since the first week of November) locked down with a doe. One of them was in the 160 range and was with a doe 20 yards from a state highway, and that was the first week of Nov...that realllly warm week. So I know there have been does in heat and big bucks locked down the whole time. Finally this past weekend it was like the light bulb switched on with little guys, then Saturday evening had a couple 140's cruising, and saw my first decent shooter on what I would consider a normal cruise Monday evening...he covered a half mile in about 20 min. I'm also still seeing a lot of does with their fawns in and around the bedding/feeding areas, and they are finally getting jittery, which is making me believe they're being harassed more. The other thing for me...all the crops are out all the way around where I've hunted for years, so that killed that theory for me. Like everyone else it's bben strange, and hoping the best is yet to come.

Hello, I am new to this site. I have been scratching my head over this year’s rut. I have heard everything from rut is over to rut is just kicking in. I do not have many friends who like to hunt. I was relieved when I found this site and read your comments. I hunt on my buddy’s property east of Anamosa. We have worked hard on setting stands and scouting. I took the second week of November off and spent it in the stand grunting and rattling my butt off. I tried different scents and decoys and the Bucks kept cruising by. I am now limited to hunting weekends. I hope this weekend is the one. My wife is getting pissed at me and would like me to concentrate on work. (I am self-employed by the way!) I cannot concentrate on anything but getting my tag filled. Good luck to everyone and I will check back with you soon. Thanks!

parker4u,
your wifes pissed to?im not self emplyoyed, so different circumstances im sure, but i worked hard in the off season just for this month, trail cams, scouting , everything, and did everything she wanted done, or do, they just dont get it!dont feel alone. tell her you can take the man from the outdoors, but you cant take the outdoors out of the man, she may just give up.i may just become dumber than a pile of poo, when she wants me to start hanging x-mas decor if you know what i mean!!I have a friend that has hunted SOLID the last 18 days and has only seen 3 shooters, the last 3 days, he hasnt seen a buck, hunts down by coryidan (sp) he says the same thing, he thinks its happening but late. im working 2-11s this week and just getting home, i seen 8 deer in my drive, 3bucks, (one) 160class, the other two were 120s , but they were with does in cornfeilds. im going to hunt hard tomorow, keep us posted.

Top Bottom