Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ryan and Lefty

dedgeez

death from above
I told the story last year during youth season of Ryan who is turning into my hunting buddy. He comes from a split parent family and loves to hunt. No one in his family hunts so we have kind of taken him under our wing to get him some experience in the woods. He killed his first deer with us last year (doe) and he killed a heck of a gobbler with me this spring. He has been talking about youth season for a month and told me this year he wanted a buck :grin: My goal was to find him a good mature buck to hunt this season and with some luck I was able to find old lefty this summer. He evaded my cameras all summer but I was able to glass him a couple of times so I knew he was around.

Fast forward to Monday evening. We went to the farm where Lefty has made his home and with warm temps I didn't have the highest expectations for the night. At last light lefty and a bunch of does came into the field presenting no shot. Ryan was excited to get back out, but was not able to hunt the rest of the week.

With the cold temps forcasted I figured tonight would be the night that he would be on his feet early. We got in the blind at 5o'clock and waited. At 7:05 Lefty came walking into the plot and like a gift from God walked right in to 45 yards. Ryan was a wreck, but held it together long enough to make the shot and after a short track job we had him. He's a 5 year old brute of a deer and this is night Ryan will never forget.

The smile on his face is worth everything. All the hours of scouting and miles traveled were long forgotten when he put his hands on him. It is truly a blessing to get to take him hunting and share what I love so much.

View from the blind
picture.php

Lefty and one happy hunter..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Hats off to you dedgeez for introducing the young fella into the sport and getting him hooked for life. Top notch for you to go out of your way and put the kid on a stud of a buck for his first buck. Thats what its all about and the smile says it all.

Another lifelong outdoorsman has been made thanks to you taking time and effort. Great job and nice buck to put him on. Congrats to Ryan!!

Awesome! Congrats to Ryan for a heck of a deer! And hats off to you for being a mentor to him!

For the size of that buck Ryan. You must have been shaking like a leaf. Way to hold it together. Sounds like you have yourself a heck of a guide there. Welcome to the 'obsession'. Great job on talking Ryan under your wing and being a good teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Great job taking the young guy hunting with you and putting in time to find him a buck. Congrats to ya both!

Top Bottom