Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ryans Gobbler

dedgeez

death from above
I got a call yesterday from my girlfriends father informing me that little Ryan wanted to go turkey hunting this weekend. Ryan is the son of a lady that he works with and he comes from a non hunting family. He is a great kid who has a serious itch for hunting. We were able to get him his first deer this fall and now he wants to chase gobblers.

So I pick him up at 4:30 this morning and we head off to a farm that hasn't been hunted yet this year. I wasn't able to scout it before hand so I took him to a spot where they usually roost hoping for the best! I set the decoys up and we sat down and chatted for awhile waiting for daylight. I was hoping the birds would be fairly close, but had no idea that the first gobble we heard would be within 40 yards :way:

This is one of the hottest birds I have seen in awhile. He gobbled close to 60 times on the roost before he flew down. After he pitched out of the tree I told Ryan to be ready figuring it would happen quickly. They worked their way below the ridge from us and came into the field about 30 yards to our left. There ended up being 2 gobblers and the strutter worked right into the decoys at about 10 yards. I was sitting right next to Ryan talking to him and trying to keep him calm. When the bird cleared one of the hen decoys I told him to take the safety off and take aim. I gave a few quick yelps and he thundered right in our faces. I told Ryan he could shoot when he was ready and BOOM. I'm proud of the little guy, He is 3-3 now on game and seems to handle himself very well for a kid. We snapped a few pics and then drove all over town showing his family and friends. I don't think he'll stop talking about this hunt for awhile :D

I've been blessed to be on 10 successful hunts this year, but this one was the most fun by far. The excitement that comes from a kid is hard to beat.

Here's Ryan with his gobbler!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Way to go!
Good job on getting a good young man into the sport.Thank you!
Congrats to both of you.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom