Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye:

loneranger

I am reading about people planting rye already. Isn't it too early? Rye can germinate in 50' soil temps. I used to plant some up in MI the last of Sept.With how warm it is down here, I would think now would be too early. If the deer have lots of other crop to chew on the rye will get tall and you'd have to cut it for new growth. Or am I wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
I am reading about people planting rye already. Isn't it too early? Rye can germinate in 50' soil temps. I used to plant some up in MI the last of Sept.With how warm it is down here, I would think now would be too early. If the deer have lots of other crop to chew on the rye will get tall and you'd have to cut it for new growth. Or am I wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read thru my thread on Cereal Grains and Cover Crops and you will see that late August thru mid Sept. is perfect timing for rye and wheat.

Labor Day weekend is what I shoot for
waytogo.gif

People will say that too much growth and it will have less appeal. One year I planted a little early and got "too much" growth but it still looked and was about as short as a golf green about January. Maybe it is different where the density isn't as high.

I'm planting mine this week. Just got done discing today. Would have planted but forgot to buy seed before the long weekend.
frown.gif

Guess I'd better get some in this weekend then. Sposed to be damp. Where I am planting I have sprayed round-up all summer so mostly bare ground. Will just rake it in. It is cool shady area so prob not grow real fast anyway. You guys say plant, I'll plant!

Top Bottom