Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rye

Depends if you have a lot of deer to keep it grazed. Also depends on the rain, I planted it once first of Sept and had to weed whip it down several times until late Oct cause until then deer could care less about it. Another time it took until mid Oct to get up because it never rained enough. Around beginning of Sept is a good bet though.

So, really, there's about 4 sayings and dates on turnips "rain or shine, July 29" is one of them. & that date is about right. Now, I will consider my work load & rain forecast there and maybe start them on the 20th. I'd rather be too early than too late. Sept 1 is a good target on the rye like Central said. I'd consider forecast.... For example, you see rain Aug 29, put em in the 28th. You have a lot of deer, maybe be on the touch earlier side. If you're mixing in lots of other things, touch earlier side. But, yes, rye, alone with everything else off the table, Sept 1 is a good target date. Plant when ideal condtions are present and thankfully we have plenty of those this time of year. Good luck.

Read up in dbltree's section, cereal grains and stuff. Yes, oats can go in same time as rye.

Roundup residual

Next question....
Is there a residual you should watch out for from round up. For example I brush cut weeds and grass a couple weeks ago. I spayed round up early this week. I'm planing on 2 different plots. Brassicas mix and pea mix. I fear there being a residual left over from the round up. Any opinions

Next question....
Is there a residual you should watch out for from round up. For example I brush cut weeds and grass a couple weeks ago. I spayed round up early this week. I'm planing on 2 different plots. Brassicas mix and pea mix. I fear there being a residual left over from the round up. Any opinions

Roundup is nonresidual, it just kills the actively growing green stuff.

Yes, oats and rye can be seeded together....same time....same spreader....same seeding rate. Behind that, lots of other seeds can be added (or not) depending on your budget, how much area you have, and what you want to accomplish. Such as hairy vetch (great cover crop and nitrogen fixer, that will arguably give you more success if you plan to plant brassicas into this next Summer/Fall); peas like Austrian Winter Peas or just field peas or for that matter the cheaper non-RR soybeans which are about the same price; Forage Radishes; red and/or white clovers. Lots of options!!

Top Bottom