Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sad News Erv Wagner Passed Away

Central Iowa

Life Member
Just received an email from Randy Taylor and this is the information he shared.

One of the archery pioneers in Iowa passed away.
Erv Wagner was a truly inspiring individual and brought so much to the outdoor community, especially in this great state. I'm sure he's up there flinging arrows with Fred Bear!! God speed Erv, you'll truly be missed. Please keep your prayers with the Wagner family on this sad day.

Cards may be sent to
Archery Fields & Sport
3725 E. 56th St
Altoona,Ia. 50009
I will forward details when available.

I bought my very first bow from Erv back in the 80's at the old store up on University. He was truly a pioneer of Archery in Iowa and will be missed. Prayers sent to Mark and the rest of the family in this time of great loss.

Such a sad loss for the archery world. I spent a lot of time as a teenager in his shop on University back in the day. He helped me out when all of my archery gear was stolen during bow season about 15 years ago and never thought twice about it. Thoughts and prayers with the Wagner family.

Bought my first bow from Erv a little over 10 years ago and flung many an arrow while he watched and tutored me. He had some great stories to tell. He will be missed.

Earlier today a friend and I was texting back-and-forth and wondered how many first bows Erv put in peoples hands. In 1986 or so I was one of them he put a Hoyt Rambo Jr. in my hands a day I will never forget. Erv will be missed by many and like Randy's email said Erv truly positively influenced the bowhunting in this state. Great thanks Erv and may God bless you.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't been in there in a while due to moving in the opposite direction but shot 3D league there a few times and enjoyed Erv and his shop.

My condolences go out to Mark and Kristie and his wife Pam. I hope they carry on his legacy.

I bought my sons first bows from Irv. He did much more than his share to further our sport here in Iowa. Gods blessing and peace to his family in this difficult time.

I spent more time hanging out in the shop on University, shooting and watching hunting videos, than I care to admit. We would literally spend the entire day there, even ordering lunch with Erv and Pam. I used to be totally intrigued with the small Fred Bear museum in the front of the store with the pictures of Erv and Fred. Family life and more distance between his shop and I have made my visits there much less frequent but Erv always remembered me and greeting me as if I were still that teenager hanging out years ago.

Pam, Kristie, and Mark, so sorry for your loss. Erv left a legacy that will live on with the three of you and remembered by all of us.

He sold me my first NEW bow at the old shop, sad to hear the news. Drank a few cold ones in that old shop on University. Those were the days.

Visitation will be held 4-7pm on Thursday, February 19, 2015 at Iles Grandview Park Funeral Home in Des Moines. A Celebration of Life will be held at 1pm on Friday, February 20, 2015 at Oakwood United Methodist Church in Pleasant Hill. Burial will follow at the Norwalk Cemetery. Immediately following burial, friends and family are invited back to Archery Field & Sports for a celebration lunch. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/de...vin-Wagner&pid=174176150#sthash.qiofFcSG.dpuf

Anyone remember what year Erv opened his shop? I remember going in to University with my dad but cannot remember the exact location. Where was it exactly?

Anyone remember what year Erv opened his shop? I remember going in to University with my dad but cannot remember the exact location. Where was it exactly?

I can remember when I was a little wee man it was by struthers bros. and I always wanted to go to both !

Top Bottom