Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sad Sad Story

Don't live in fear of, what if. Do your part and enjoy your sport with young people when ever you can. The gift of sharing your hunting experiences is awsome.

A perfect example of why we need to help younger generations get involved!! Whether it be taking them on youth hunts, youth NRA shooting sports, or National Archery in the Schools Programs!!!

We can all help!!

Personally I wish some hunters would quit. Area around me has been so full both shotgun seasons its hard to go into anything not already with hunters in it.

If hunter numbers are falling off, I sure don't see it. Seems like there is more competition for less land holding less deer every year.
Maybe this has more to do with the fact that every year less hunters lock up more land, leaving the rest to flock to whatever is left.

There's alot of truth in that artical. If you are 30 and under no dought you've sat for hours playing video games, I know my kids did. Not only has urban sprawl changed the game but the people living in those urban neighborhoods are the people that used to move back close to home or never left in the 1st place. I wonder what hunting 20 or 30 years from now will be like?

This article is a perfect example of why you need to do some research before believing everything you read.

He is absolutely right that overall numbers have dropped in the last 10 - 20 years, BUT he is way to quick to presume that it is because of urban sprawl or video games. 2 of the states he listed, Michigan and Pennsylvania, are also two of the biggest industrial states that we have(had) with hundreds of thousands of people leaving those states in the time period he mentioned. Hmm I wonder if that could be more of a direct correlation?

As far as kids playing video games and not wanting to be outdoors, that falls directly on the parents shoulders. If you don't want your kids to be fat, lazy bums than man up and take them hunting or fishing.

Im definately not saying that I do not agree with his article, I just think a little more explanation for the occurrence would be more beneficial to readers. I can see it now, some idiot is going to be running around in Michigan or Pennsylvania telling everyone that there are 20% fewer hunters now in those states, when in all reality it's because there are 20% fewer people in those states!

Last edited:
I don't see #'s dropping off. Maybe for pheasants sure, but for deer it's quite the opposite. With the fascination of shooting a big buck, it brings more and more weekend warriors out.

Hopefully we can instill safety and love for the outdoors in the younger generations. I'm tired of seeing the littering, tresspassing, dumping in parking lots, and disrespect a lot of hunters have.

I don't post much on any site, but this topic grabbed my attention. Between this and the subject of gunrunr's post on shotgun trespassers, I'm experiencing the same lack of desire to hunt. I have acreage in SE Iowa and experience the "shock" of the drive hunters and have a neighbor who pretty much treats my property as his, but without hiding in the grass to catch him on camera and record him admitting he is hunting it, it is hard to do anything to get him off. He has no consequences to come on in and hunt. Always can say he is tracking a deer or lost track of the property line and poof he vanishes with no harm done. I'm spending my money for others to hunt it basically and the solitude and fair chase aspects of it are becoming non-existent. I've entertained selling it and I never ever thought I'd do that....but the fun has been taken out of it. I'm coming of the opinion that it isn't necessarily a small percentage spoiling the fun of the hunt, the percentage is higher than the 1% or the 5%. General lack of respect for others property and zero respect for letting folks do as they wish on their property. it doesn't help that I'm a weekender and the local folks who are in the minority know it. Sorry, had to vent. My dream bubble has burst and it ticks me off.

General lack of respect for others property and zero respect for letting folks do as they wish on their property.

That's the main issue....bunch of freeloading, lazy, tresspassing, poachers with no respect for others and their land. People don't want to share the great tradition of hunting on their land because too many others would take advantage of the situation. It's created a bitter, self-protective hunting community.

I think it's all falling into........no where to hunt. Everyone with big money is buying 500 acres here. 1000 acres there. Old farmers are getting money waved in front of their faces and can't say no. Traditions are getting replaced by $$$$ because people think...the more acres...the better shot at a big buck.

Heck I'd love to take kids hunting. I have little cousins and neighbor friends who I would take hunting this weekend if I could. But with the only place I have access to hunt being over an hour away, I just can't afford it. The kids don't have any place to hunt either. So how exactly are they going to get involved in hunting?

Don't you people see it...tresspassers, less hunters, less money......You can't take your kid hunting if you don't have a place to go!

That's the main issue....bunch of freeloading, lazy, tresspassing, poachers with no respect for others and their land. People don't want to share the great tradition of hunting on their land because too many others would take advantage of the situation. It's created a bitter, self-protective hunting community.

I agree 100%

This article is a perfect example of why you need to do some research before believing everything you read.

He is absolutely right that overall numbers have dropped in the last 10 - 20 years, BUT he is way to quick to presume that it is because of urban sprawl or video games. 2 of the states he listed, Michigan and Pennsylvania, are also two of the biggest industrial states that we have(had) with hundreds of thousands of people leaving those states in the time period he mentioned. Hmm I wonder if that could be more of a direct correlation?

As far as kids playing video games and not wanting to be outdoors, that falls directly on the parents shoulders. If you don't want your kids to be fat, lazy bums than man up and take them hunting or fishing.

Im definately not saying that I do not agree with his article, I just think a little more explanation for the occurrence would be more beneficial to readers. I can see it now, some idiot is going to be running around in Michigan or
Pennsylvania telling everyone that there are 20% fewer hunters now in those states, when in all reality it's because there are 20% fewer people in those states!
Yeah, I agree with this. I mean I'm a teen and I hunt all the time no matter what. Our town is small (pop. A little over 6,000) and I only know out of the kids in my grade there's only about 7 Hunters. I asked a few of my friends the other day "Are you going hunting?" most of them said stuffl like Oh, I like hunting but my parents won't bring me because their working/nobody will bring me or No, there's nowhere to hunt or No, I hate it! How can you kill poor animals? In lunch I brought my pictures of the doe and buck I killed this year and everyone was upset about the matter that I killed 'A Poor Helpless Deer' thank goodness I have a teacher that loves to hunt but he can't because he's teaching otherwise I think someone was about to punch me in the face or something.

Well, about 90% of the teachers in our school HATE hunting. This one teacher yelled in my face about killing a deer and bragging about it saying something to the effect of you're going to become a serial killer when you grow up. The teacher was not joking by the tone of voice. It's 2:46 and I can't sleep because I'm so exited to go out again today.

Last edited:

Exactly! But, I think it's also coming down to nowhere to hunt and or nobody will take the teens that want to hunt. The world is the same size there's just more people in it and their having the wrong views of what hunting is.

Exactly! But, I think it's also coming down to nowhere to hunt and or nobody will take the teens that want to hunt. The world is the same size there's just more people in it and their having the wrong views of what hunting is.

Why I like my area of the state. Its the same old same old people that hunt every year. Being 20 yr old and having grown up in a family that farms a little over 1000 acres yeah it is easy to hunt and get good deer. The problem like stated several problems is that the younger crowd would rather stay in bed and play call of duty.

Kids are a product of their environment, if they'd rather stay in bed and play call of duty it is their parents fault. I teach Grade 7/8, beside my desk sits a wonderful framed photo of a boy and the buck he shot this yr along with a thank you for teaching him the Firearm Safety course which is required to hunt. His father approached me with the idea b/c he simply couldn't do it with his work schedule. It was pleasure, 75% of my class chose to take it, 1 student in my class has a video game at home. Like I said, product of one's environment.

If someone is buying their kids a psp or whatever they're called to kill time while travelling, or installing a t.v on the back of a seat for them to stare at, then they shouldn't be surprised if they one day wake up and their kids can't entertain themselves or have little to no awareness of the world around them.

Teenagehunter, sounds like you need to move to where 6,000 people is a large city...and 90% of the teachers suppoort hunting.

Kids are a product of their environment, if they'd rather stay in bed and play call of duty it is their parents fault. I teach Grade 7/8, beside my desk sits a wonderful framed photo of a boy and the buck he shot this yr along with a thank you for teaching him the Firearm Safety course which is required to hunt. His father approached me with the idea b/c he simply couldn't do it with his work schedule. It was pleasure, 75% of my class chose to take it, 1 student in my class has a video game at home. Like I said, product of one's environment.

If someone is buying their kids a psp or whatever they're called to kill time while travelling, or installing a t.v on the back of a seat for them to stare at, then they shouldn't be surprised if they one day wake up and their kids can't entertain themselves or have little to no awareness of the world around them.

Teenagehunter, sounds like you need to move to where 6,000 people is a large city...and 90% of the teachers suppoort hunting.

Thank you for this post! I am so sick of people saying that we are losing our next generation of hunters because of video games and lack of interest by the kids. The only reason we are losing them is that the parents do not want to put in the time or effort to teach them. I can tell you honestly that there sure as hell will never be that problem in my household.

Sask, thanks for teaching those kids about the outdoors and hunting. We need more teachers like you in the school system. I have a brother who is a teacher in Wyoming and he is the same way. I can honestly tell you that they do not have a problem in their school either. Keep up the good work! Ill bet your boys will turn out to be good men because of your time spent :way:

Funny as I read this I was like jeez that is huge compared to my town that has around 200 give or take a few.

I did notice while I was in high school though too that only two of my instructors hunted.

Top Bottom