Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safety first

JNRBRONC

I have noticed a few harvest photos where a firearm is laid across the deer and is unintentionally pointed towards
the hunter. I was raised to NEVER have a gun aimed at a human being. I really don't care if the action is open or the chamber is "empty". I was taught that it was the "empty" gun that was responsible for the majority of accidental shootings. Am I being too critical?

After reading your post, i went back and looked closer at some of the great youth harvests (congrats to all
smile.gif
) but i noticed the same thing in two of the picutures....i totally agree that safety needs to be considered at all times and especially when we least think that it does. This is something that should be brought to the attention of everyone. Great observation...hopefully everyone can learn from this.

I can see buy your first post you're not going to be ok. Things happen to even the smartest people, that's why they're called accidents. I don't know about you but I try to avoid having a gun pointed at me even if I know it's unloaded and the safety is on. But then I'm a little older than you so I don't know everything yet...
Buy the way welcome to the greatest site on the net.
grin.gif

FWIW... I just saw a news report the other day where a Highway Patrol Officer shot a slug through the window of the IHP office from the INSIDE out and guess what... he thought the gun was unloaded. ALWAYS treat a gun as loaded even when it isn't.

It's the "unloaded" guns that are most dangerous and we should keep that in mind when taking pictures, etc.

When I started handling guns many years ago, my dad always said "it is the unloaded gun that kills" and asked "what's the most important thing we bring hunting with us?"....answer - safety.

I found out years later that my great uncle accidently killed himself while cleaning a gun...he was around guns all his life and hunted all his life - never take things for granted!

Top Bottom