Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safety Harness

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
We'll, I'm fed up with using my old cheap safety harnesses that come with the stands i bought a few years ago. Always get tangled up and just not good range of motion while in the tree.
What kind of harness do you use? I am looking to get either the spider or the muddy? Any cons of either?

I'm currently using a Muddy but have also used HSS harness's. I like the HSS better. I just bought the Muddy less than a month ago and hunted in it once. I like the way HSS harness go on better. I would like to get rid of my Muddy and go back to HSS. Overall I think Muddy makes a good harness but don't know alot about spider.

I have two hsspros, one for me and one for my wife. We love them, I can't speak for the muddy or spyder. However they do resemble the one I have at work and that one is uncomfortable...

I love my muddy harness..No cons that I can really think of. Its so light and non-bulky that you dont even realize you have it on..

All of my family and friends use muddy. Easy and comfortable. I tried a hss and it just wasnt for me. To each his own

I have a Hss pro vest and a spider speed harness. Both are great vests. I prefer the spider now as it is much lighter and cooler. I do.miss the pockets though the hss had. I always kept a small knife and a spare tree step or two in it. Always figured if i fell maybe a step to stand on would be handy.

I have an HSS and its great. I finally ditched the cheaper ones that come with your stands last year. Its worth spending the $100 or so to get a more comfy safety harness.

Hss pro here. Havent used anything else but this and the cheapos that come with the stands, but so far so good!

I had both the muddy harness and hss but gave my hss pro to a friend.. i like them both but the things i didnt like about the hss is that it seemed to have a strong smell right out of the package that i could never get rid of and it was just that much more material to become contaminated with human scent.. also one of the biggest things i didnt like about the hss is the steel buckles on the straps that went around my legs didnt have any coating on them so while walking, the buckles always clanked together.. i would just undo them and stuff them in my pockets..

Muddy for me as well.

On a side note I went out to hang a new stand the other day and didn't want to stink up my muddy harness with sweat so I grabbed one of the many I have that come with every stand. Man I tell u I can't believe I used to put myself through the torture of trying to put one of those things on, especially in the dark. Best hunting purchase I ever made was getting a user friendly and comfortable harness

I never liked wearing harnesses because they were either a pain to put on or seemed to get in the way but I am really impressed with the muddy harness. like previous posts, when you are wearing this harness you don't even know you have it on and it's easy to put on in the dark.

Does anyone know of anyone that makes a harnes for kids? I have a 6 year old that loves to deer hunt but putting her in an adult harness makes me a little scared. I've made some modifications to the harness to fit her but I am a little weary on my craftsmanship.

I see Muddy has one, has anyone tried them?

Last edited:
I use a Big Game Treestands harness. Its basically like the hss ultra lite, both weighing 2.5 lbs. Also it has metal quick connects for around the legs. Half the price of hss, works the same.

Top Bottom