Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safety Lines

kjohn15

With my fiancé and my brothers' kids and wives beginning to hunt, it is time for my family to start thinking about the value of safety. I am looking to make safety ropes for all of our tree stand locations by using a prussic knot and at least 300 lbs. rated line so we are always attached to a safety line. I know that Muddy makes safety lines, but I am looking at quite a few lines and am trying to make it a bit cheaper than 50 bucks per stand. We know how to tie the knot and can get a hold of carabiners pretty easily. Has anybody else done this and where did you find your supplies? TIA​

You're definitely doing the right thing; I climbed for years without a safety line but wouldn't think of going up a tree without one these days

I own several sets from SafeTreeHunt which are good quality and priced reasonably - I bought them ready to go but he does include info on putting your own together with quality components:

http://safetreehunt.com/systems.html

Good Luck!

If anybody else is wanting to make their own sets I just have an update on what research I have been looking up and prices I have found for making 12 of the 25' safelines.
50’ prusik cord @ .47/ft = $23 (would equal about 2ft./prusik @ 2 prusiks/line)
http://www.shopatron.com/products/category/10087.0.1.1.1017051.1006822.1006823.0.0?pkey=1432fb94ba1561eda42f4ba0aae7c6a0&ckey=1017051.1006822.1006823.0.0
300’ of 3/8 inch safeline cord @ $260 shipped.

These materials would do about 12 stands (@ 25ft/line) which is a really good start.
Cost would be just under $25 per line. Muddy sells comparable safety lines for $45 on amazon.com and that is the cheapest I have seen (they are 30' and have pretied prusik knots). Muddy's lines are TMA certified up to 300 lbs., I have quoted comparable materials so I am ASSUMING these lines would be close to or the same rating. I will tie my own prusik knots and sacrifice 5' for 20 bucks per set.
Just use Yooper's link on how to put them together and you're ready to hunt safe like we will be!! :way:

I just wish they were less expensive. I know safty has no price. I just have alot of stands. It would cost me $1000 to have them on all my stands.

I probably have 50 stands set up if I started tallying them up x say $30= $1500. I spent $5,000 in my DEDUCTIBLE & OUT OF POCKET MAX in 2 years doing the treatment & rehad on my arm from fall. Second year I had more problems with the bone, etc so it left me with at least $2,500 each year (x2) plus all the pain & hassle dealing with a fall that I was lucky enough not to die from.
Now, here's the other side of it where I "fall short"... the hassle effect, I'll admit it, I get a little lazy.... With the prussic knot & line- is this a pain going up the tree or a reasonably greater bit of effort? I am fully supportive of using all this, I just wanna know the hassle factor with this. Whatever the answer is, folks should be using this BUT just wanna hear some honest feedback & how much time/hassle it takes.

I probably have 50 stands set up if I started tallying them up x say $30= $1500. I spent $5,000 in my DEDUCTIBLE & OUT OF POCKET MAX in 2 years doing the treatment & rehad on my arm from fall. Second year I had more problems with the bone, etc so it left me with at least $2,500 each year (x2) plus all the pain & hassle dealing with a fall that I was lucky enough not to die from.
Now, here's the other side of it where I "fall short"... the hassle effect, I'll admit it, I get a little lazy.... With the prussic knot & line- is this a pain going up the tree or a reasonably greater bit of effort? I am fully supportive of using all this, I just wanna know the hassle factor with this. Whatever the answer is, folks should be using this BUT just wanna hear some honest feedback & how much time/hassle it takes.

I've never used one, but I'd say its worth any hassle so we don't lose you, Skip! :way:

...Now, here's the other side of it where I "fall short"... the hassle effect, I'll admit it, I get a little lazy.... With the prussic knot & line- is this a pain going up the tree or a reasonably greater bit of effort? I am fully supportive of using all this, I just wanna know the hassle factor with this. Whatever the answer is, folks should be using this BUT just wanna hear some honest feedback & how much time/hassle it takes.

To me it's like wearing my seatbelt in my truck - years ago it seemed restrictive and a hassle, but now it's second nature and it doesn't feel right to drive without having it on.

Going up and down the tree is pretty simple; once you're connected on the ground you develop a rhythm like push prussic up, step, reach, step, reach, push prussic up and so on. Just like the seatbelt it's now second nature and not a big deal anymore. Well worth the effort considering what's at stake...

I snowshoed out to one of my treestands after the season was over to collect a seat cushion and other odds n ends that I'd left out there only to realize that I'd forgotten my safety harness. Not wanting to waste my effort I climbed up without it and I gotta tell ya I felt practically naked! After years of sitting in trees with no fall restraint I could hardly stand to be up there without it.

Try it out it's not bad at all....

Top Bottom