Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Salt/Minerals? for camera site

Buzz

What have some of you camera guys found to be the best choice for an attractive yet economical salt/mineral lick? I've heard of guys using water softener salt or ice cream salt--is that ok for the deer and does it work? Not really into buying the expensive stuff marketed for deer.

I use grounded up Mineral in areas that are slow and use the natural trail along river bottoms. Really anything works but along the edge of corn and the timber usually works well.

I use cattle mineral and stock salt, mix it 50/50. They seem to like it. Also, if you really want to get them going, put in a bag of sugar with the mix.

Stock Salt and trace mineral salt, mixed 50-50, 4-60, 30-70, however my dumping is that day. Sugar for me...would mean, bears.

If you ever are around Pella area give Boyd a call at Buck Hollow Sports. He has some 50 lb. blocks that are made from the same stuff as trophy rocks but they are waaay cheaper than a trophy rock. Deer love em.

Most any bulk form of salt will attract deer, but it doesn't help them until you add the minerals. The trick is to get the most amount of minerals down and still get the deer to eat it. I use Di-calcium phosphate in mine!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearcatbaseball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one that I personally was told about several years ago is baking soda....deer tear it up! </div></div>

Alright anyone else tried this?

I think lb for lb, sugar would probably attract better for less $.

But Im curious?

Dean

I had never heard the baking soda one before, either. Wonder what the attraction would be there?

One benefit: no bad breath when they're done at the lick /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

3 parts trace mineral salt (50# bags) to 1 part Dical. I start the lick off with some stock salt also because I think it's quicker to get the initial attraction but delete that from the mix after it's established to give the full benefit of the minerals.

Top Bottom