Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saskguy Question????

jkratz5

I figured since you are up North (much farther than I am heading) you might have some good suggestions for me. We are heading to Vilas County Wisconsin the third week of August to do some Pike and Muskie fishing. Because of prior engagements this is the only time we could get up there and I have never fished during this time period.

I was just wondering if you might have any suggestions for us on what to use, depth, etc. I know right now it has been hot up there, lake temps have hit the low 80's even in the early morning. Any suggestions would be appreciated, oh and great Pike in your other post.

Kratz

You should go to Lake-link.com and look for the WI fishing forums. You should be able to talk to some of the local guys online and maybe even find the lake you're fishing on. I'm going to assume with the hot temps, fishing would be best during early morning and late evening/night. Surface baits at this time would work well.

check the fishing reports on muskyhunter.com
No idea what to expect by then, depends what the weather does. Right now most of the muskies are being caught from deeper what on outside weed edges and suspended off the breaklines. Deeper running bucktails, jerkbaits, and even topwater baits over the deeper water should get you some fish.

I really can't help you with the musky's as we don't have them here. As for big pike I'll give it a try. Early in the year before the water warms up we have good luck in shallow water on bucktails and shallow running cranks, (big ones). When the lake warms up, like now until late August, the big pike seem to move out of the shallower weed beds and head to the main lake basin. The lake I fish is about 40 feet on the main lake and the big pike seem to suspend out here chasing whitefish. To get them when it heats up we have to drag deep diving cranks, (big ones again)on the edge of the basin where it drops from 10-25 feet. Here the best time to get big pike is before they move deep. You can still get them but it is easier in May, June, early July and Sept.

Thanks for the advice boys, I will give the tips a shot. I definitely will check some of the other sites out to see what is going on. I have also seen that deep running bucktails have been working on weighted leeders. I will let you know how it goes, hopefully the weather will cool abit so we can get into some good fish.

Kratz

Top Bottom