Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Satellite photos

M

Mile High

Anyone know of a good website to get satellite photos of hunting property. I could not find any in Iowa on terraserver.com I'm looking for the free variety. Thanks guys.

I have a ton photos of the land we hunt from terraserver! You just have to type in the nearest city and go from there!

Hey Milehigh where are you from? I can get pictures off terraserver but I can not put in the zip code or city that I want. Several months ago I saved a zip code and now everytime I pull the webpage up it also pulls that particular picture up. All I have to do is continue clicking to get where I want to go. I think they are in the process of updating all the pictures right now. If you have been to terra server before and have entered a zipcode try that one again. It works for me. If you have any questions let me know and I will try and help you out.

Bowbendr

I think the only way you can get satellite photos are by buying them. The only thing that I found on terraserver.microsoft.com are aerial photos and topography maps. I am pretty sure you can get satellite photos through the Forest Service or sometime of Government Agency.

I use images from digital orthophoto quads at the Iowa Geographic Image Map Server http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/doqqs.html to look at hunting ground. I prefer this site over terraserver, just think it's easier than to navigate around and find things.

I had assumed these pictures were taken by satellite. If they aren't and satellite pictures are better quality, I'd be interested in finding out more about satellite pics.

Im outside of Oskaloosa Ive tried typing in cities in Ia and get nothing. I couldn't find a place to enter a zip code on terraserver. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bowbendr:
Hey Milehigh where are you from? I can get pictures off terraserver but I can not put in the zip code or city that I want. Several months ago I saved a zip code and now everytime I pull the webpage up it also pulls that particular picture up. All I have to do is continue clicking to get where I want to go. I think they are in the process of updating all the pictures right now. If you have been to terra server before and have entered a zipcode try that one again. It works for me. If you have any questions let me know and I will try and help you out.

Bowbendr
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like mytopo.com They make it easy to find your ground and you can do some zooming in.
I have'nt used it for awhile but it was free to play with and you could print and save.
They do offer to sell,but it was only $14 or so,it was like 9x14 laminated!!
CHECK IT OUT YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!!!!

Thanks for the website driftless these photos are exactly what I was looking for.

Slim <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Driftless:
I use images from digital orthophoto quads at the Iowa Geographic Image Map Server http://ortho.gis.iastate.edu/doqqs.html to look at hunting ground. I prefer this site over terraserver, just think it's easier than to navigate around and find things.

I had assumed these pictures were taken by satellite. If they aren't and satellite pictures are better quality, I'd be interested in finding out more about satellite pics.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

terraserver.com is a rip-off site. It is not the "real" terraserver, which has high-res pictures of the entire state for free.

Try terraserver.microsoft.com instead and see if you can find what you're looking for.

[This message has been edited by Gianni (edited 02-03-2002).]

I 0ordered a topo map from mytopo.com and I'm happy with it. They are not laminated, just printed on waterproof paper. You just go to the site and move around until you decide which zoom level and area you want, then order it. Pretty cool.

Go to terraserver at the microsoft address. Everything is free and you can find absolutely any place in Iowa (and country for that matter) I have used this site for several years now....excellant image, and topo maps.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

I agree with Driftless. The Iowa Geographic Image Map Server site is easy to navigate and has good images. I usually copy the image into Microsoft Word so I can save them to print off later. You can also more easily alter the size of the image. I put mine in those plastic sheet protectors and use a dry erase marker when I need to give someone directions or mark travel patterns.

Top Bottom