Savage .17 HMR w/ thumbhole

BDAHMS

Be here Now
I won a .17 HMR with thumbhole over the weekend at a WTU banquet and I have no use for an HMR- I would like to trade it up for a gun that can hunt coyotes up to Elk- suggestions?????

Coyotes up thru elk? To get a calibre big enough to efficiently kill elk you'll be blowing coyote in half.

For deer-elk, plenty of fans of the various 7mms in the world, I'm just not one of them. 30/06 Springfield will do the job; 300 Win mag will do it better... :way:

That's small for deer in my opinion but legal in a few states. Nowhere near big enough for elk.

I meant the .223 AR for coyotes and what not- plus I am getting it for a great price for only being shot 20 times- now all I need is a gunf or deer/elk-

was leaning towards the 30/06 savage- will look once I get there.

Make sure to get something big enough for the elk. Unless you are really trying to save the fur, the coyote won't care that the bullet is "oversized". A round that I think could be used for either (possibly being a hair on the light side for elk) is a .243.

I'd buy that AR and then get a separate bolt gun for elk on up.

That is what I plan to do- He is selling me his Smith and Wesson .223 AR for $1500- and I will get a rifle bolt action for elk/mule

Last edited:
PM me with what you would sell the HMR for if you are interested.

If you want an all around gun, .06 and you're still way to light in my opinion for elk, but I am willing to bet that more elk are killed with an .06 than any other caliber. I bet youd be surprised how many .270 are in the mountains.

I'm a huge fan of the .375 Ruger... But that doesnt fit your bill at all :D

.30-06 is PLENTY of rifle for a bull elk. Not even close to being too light. And yes, there are tons of .270s being used out west. The old adage that you absolutely need a .30 magnum to cleanly kill an elk is BS! The .30 magnums definitely get the job done, but a .30-06 with a good bullet (I prefer 165 gr Barnes TSX or 168 gr TTSX) will destroy an elk's vitals. If you aren't confident with a 165 gr bullet in an 06, go with a 180 gr and you will have no problem dropping an elk. 06 is the best all-around cartridge out there. I know guys who have taken moose with an 06 and 200 gr bullets.

.30-06 is PLENTY of rifle for a bull elk. Not even close to being too light. And yes, there are tons of .270s being used out west. The old adage that you absolutely need a .30 magnum to cleanly kill an elk is BS! The .30 magnums definitely get the job done, but a .30-06 with a good bullet (I prefer 165 gr Barnes TSX or 168 gr TTSX) will destroy an elk's vitals. If you aren't confident with a 165 gr bullet in an 06, go with a 180 gr and you will have no problem dropping an elk. 06 is the best all-around cartridge out there. I know guys who have taken moose with an 06 and 200 gr bullets.

^^^^^^BING^^^^^^

I should have worded mine differently, I would not be happy with the ballistics of a .06 in the mountains, but thats just me.

Ill just throw.out getting a 308 cal. I love mine and if you choose ammo properly you cam kill anything you need to.

If your looking for a round for deer through elk, first off just start going through ballistics until you find what you want. A lot of choices out there. .270 is a personal favorite of mine, can't really go wrong with a 30-06, a 7MM rem mag is a great caliber, 300 is a good one, but a bit pricey to shoot and all of the 300 win mags I have shot have quite a bit of recoil to them, or you can even look at a 25-06. Great, flat shooting round, and is a good all around gun itself.

One very underated caliber in my opinion is the 7MM-08. A great round for even kids, as most models of guns that you will find, it has very little recoil on it, and is a great deer rifle that is more than capable to taking down an elk.

I would just look at ballistics, decide if you want to shoot long range, short range, whatever you want, then look at the caliber. With as many different ones out there today, it's hard to just choose one.

Or just get a 50 BMG and be done with it all!

.308 would be a good choice. Me I like .270wsm and 140 gr. accubonds. I know of two bull elk that fell to this combo.

Not to sure about elk, but for deer and coyote a .25-06 is a Hell of a round but is a little pricey to shoot, but all around great gun

Back