Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saw some behavior that

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
I have never seen this late in the year. I sat for 2.5 hours in my snow Double Bull blind Friday afternoon till dark. I started seeing deer moving around at approx 3:45. They were across the river from me approx 468 yds, according to my range finder. I watched a 170 class buck that was by himself for an hour with my Zen Ray ED2 8X43 Binos, (the quality of this glass just amazes me, crystal clear sharp image, no eye strain, easy to hold steady, and slide quietly and easily in and out of my Badlands bino case, even in 0 degree weather)that spent a lot of time raking trees and brush with his antlers. Here it was bitter cold , snowing out out, and instead feeding and thinking of survival, like I witnessed other deer doing, he was burning energy messing around with his antlers. I believe he was trying to get them to drop. Maybe as it is shed time, they itch or are aggravating? It might explain why I found a nice shed hanging in a tree one time? Anyway, with 15 minutes of legal shooting left, I had 4 deer step out and I took the farthest shot 1st, which was 300 yds, and the big doe dumped. The field emptied, except for one deer that stopped at 200 yds, and it got dumped too. Two weekends in a row, and doubles each time! Love this long range sniping! My magnus rack chair and Buddy heater made for a very comfortable set. I didn't even hide the blind. I set it right out on a point, where I had shot opps in two different fields if need be. I had the best deer chili last night, and had to buy a small additional freezer when I got home , as I am out of room. When I bought two more tags last Friday, there were still 1,040 tags available for Davis County. I am done though, time for ice fishing and predator calling. Blaze orange removed from blind for pics

2l2.jpg

Congrats, those late season snowy hunts can be a lot of fun, and pretty productive. I hope you get a chance to look for the sheds from the buck you were watching.

Dan

Looks like a blast, you failed to mention your gun set up though?
Thanks guys, it is fun! I just put a fictional pic of Osama Bin Laden on the deer, and have fun.:D It is a DPMS LR .308 that I ordered brand new 4 or 5 years ago. DPMS allows optional upgrades from their basic rifle, so I ordered mine with a JP adjustable trigger, SS fluted barrel, forward assist, and a dust cover. I have a Burris 4.5X14 scope on it, and my ammunition is Hornady TAP FPD 168 gr. I have a 200 yd range, complete with a berm, and this rifle is sighted in dead on at 200 yds. It will cover a 50 cent piece all day at 200 yds.

To answer several that want to know where or what my blind is, it is a Double Bull Matrix that I sewed a Double Bull brand snow cover on. I bought the snow cover from a Scheels in North Dakota. I think these are impossible to find anymore, the last I knew. The cover was a pain to take off and on, so I just sewed it on permanently on one of my Matrix's. This is an awesome setup for late season anterless.

Thanks guys, it is fun! I just put a fictional pic of Osama Bin Laden on the deer, and have fun.:D It is a DPMS LR .308 that I ordered brand new 4 or 5 years ago. DPMS allows optional upgrades from their basic rifle, so I ordered mine with a JP adjustable trigger, SS fluted barrel, forward assist, and a dust cover. I have a Burris 4.5X14 scope on it, and my ammunition is Hornady TAP FPD 168 gr. I have a 200 yd range, complete with a berm, and this rifle is sighted in dead on at 200 yds. It will cover a 50 cent piece all day at 200 yds.

Yep, definitely "old school" right there! :D

Nice shooting on the does. :way:

Top Bottom