Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Say No to Senate File 278

No, I don't think so. Non-resident land owners will still pay the non-resident fee. I'm one (military). I've paid taxes on a farm now for 5 years and have only made it back to hunt once. If this is really a "pay to hunt land grab" then that's the most expensive doe tag I've ever heard of.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but it all boils down to this-Because we live here, it is our duty as Iowa bowhunters to take steps NOW to preserve our hunting lands from out of state pressure before it starts to become a downward spiral. Yes, we need some out of state dollars, but the new proposal in the House could be the beginning of the end. And to all the out of staters whining about how they own land here and it's unfair blah blah blah......Buy land in your home state or move here. I'm sure you can afford it.

I guess those Iowa Bowhunters who migrate west to hunt each fall should also be considering moving to their favorite western hunting state. I wonder how many of you spend in preserving your Iowa hunt location what it costs you for that annual trip.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunter:
this reply is to antlers,do you think just because you are a resident,you want to stop all non-resident land owners from getting deer tags? But you can go into missouri and buy archery tags and gun tags for all seasons.missouri has very liberal tag system and it has not turned into what you are saying is going to happen in iowa.let everyone enjoy hunting,if anything they aught to limit draw tags and let property owners have tags so they can enjoy some of their envestment back.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Grunter: I'm not a resident of Iowa, I'm a resident of South Dakota. I'm not against non-resident hunters coming into the state, they've been doing that for longer than I've been around. But when I started pheasant hunting 25 years ago the resident hunter had the same opportunities to hunt the prime areas as the non-res hunter. Now due to the almighty dollar the prime land is leased or owned by operations that charge $150 to $175 and up per gun per day to hunt. I think all the resident hunter from Iowa wants is a fair chance to hunt the prime lands they've been hunting for years instead of having some wealthy resident or non-resident come in and buy up the land and start charging $3,000 to hunt deer. This hunting tradition that is spoken of in each of our states, deer hunting in Iowa and pheasant hunting in South Dakota is in danger of becoming a sport of only the wealthy.

In our discussions and debates remember as hunters...

United we stand, divided we fall.

~ George Pope Morris ~

PS, no need to give the non-hunters reason to come between us.

To "hunt iowa"-You would be surprised....I have lived in Iowa and Colorado and the difference is night and day.

Bowdude, your Senator's response about the DNR funding is consistant with other legislators according to the DNR & IBA. Many of the legislators want more control over the funding.

I heard from my Representive on HF 321 (Outfitter Registration). He said the chairman indicated it was going no where.

There are a lot of interests involved in this mess anymore. But I would like my children and grandchildren to have a good, cheap, safe place they can hunt here at home. So if that means I stay home, then so be it.

I still have not heard back from my State Representative, I guess she might not have much to say? I feel selfish about not wanting N/R to get land owner tags. I feel for someone in the military because I spent some years away from Iowa for that same reason. I also have a 4 year old son and I would like to hunt with him without having to fork out $3000, 7 or 8 years down the road. I don't hunt out of state for two reasons: 1) I can't afford it. 2) I wish I had more time to spend in the woods the way it is!! If you guys don't get a tag I will be the first to apply for the caretaker position. I wish I had a farm in Iowa to pay taxes on.

Here is the message I got from my Rep...

"At the present time there is strong opposition in the House to increasing
the number of out of state licenses. The House has passed a bill out of
committee that increases non-resident fees but keeps existing license
numbers the same."

[This message has been edited by TLH (edited 03-14-2001).]

Grunter, with all due respect, if you bought land in Iowa while you were a non-resident, you surely must have known your license availability was dependant on a draw. If that is the case, then it was a chance you took. Now it seems you are not very happy with the results and you feel the rules should be changed because you don't like the way the dice are rolling.

As for MO and their entire over-the-counter system, drop into Kirksville, MO on your own sometime and try to find a place to hunt. Unless you're fortunate enough to have connections that will allow you to hunt or arrange your own lease, you'll be shoulder to shoulder with 300 hunters on a small tract of public land. What good is a tag if there's no place to fill it?

"Buy your own land" in my eyes is pretty weak solution. Land here--even extremely poor land, is well over $1,000 an acre where I live. I suppose some people believe that only those who are extremely well-off should be permitted to hunt here, but I'm not one of them. Maybe I live in a fairy tale world, but I'd still like my kid to have the opportunity to grab the gun or bow and hunt for a while after school like I did.

If you're a nonresident and draw an Iowa tag, do your homework and you'll be able to find a good place to hunt--for free. But if the only way to hunt Iowa is to invest $100,000+ into buying your own land, God help us all.

TLH,

I think that is a typical response, the legislators are hearing something different from every hunter they talk to. We have no united front and for that we will end up with a bunch of rules that won't make sense and the Gov will probably veto it anyway.

THIS IS IN REPLY TO NATEW; I GUESS ALL THE LANDOWNERS YOU HAVE BEEN HUNTING ON OWE IT TO YOU TO ALLOW YOU TO HUNT.THEY PAY TAXES AND MAKE PAYMENTS ON THEIR PROPERTY JUST LIKE I AM.I ALSO I KNEW OF THE TAG REQUIREMENTS OF THE TAGS WHEN I BOUGHT MY PROPERTY,HOPING THAT SOMEDAY IT MAY CHANGE IN MY FAVOR AND I WOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT MY PROPERTY! THE PEOPLE YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT ARE OUTFITTERS AND PEOPLE WILLING TO LEASE PROPERTY.AS A PROPERTY OWNER I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT EVERYTHING AND WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM PAYING FULL NON-RESIDENT TAG PRICES. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR ANYTHING FREE JUST WHAT I AM ENTITLED TO AS A PROPERTY OWNER.

Here we go again. Same thing every year. I have all ready contacted my reps. and am planning to attend a legislative forum saturday at 10:00am. There is usually 6 of them their.

I am still against ANY increase in non res numbers for all the reasons already stated.

Get involved and contacted your reps and stop this bill!

Grunter, just because you own property in Iowa does not grant you ownership of the wildlife inhabiting your propery. The wildlife inhabiting your property belongs to the state of Iowa. In short the poeple of Iowa.The Iowa legislation will make the final decision, weather to pass file 278. If it passes or does not pass the people of Iowa have spoken.

No Grunter, I don't feel any landowners owe me anything. However I feel the state does owe me something-- the opportunity to hunt regardless of my financial status. One thing that most people don't understand about our DNR is that they are almost completely self-sufficient. Iowa's DNR gets close-to $0 from the General Fund, which is where your tax money goes. The DNR's funds come almost exclusively from the sale of licenses, habitat stamps, etc. A lot of resident and nonresident property owners feel that because they pay property taxes, they're supporting the DNR. In actuality if they're not buying hunting & fishing licenses they're not giving the DNR a dime.

Grunter, I'm not trying to p!$$ you off, I'm just trying to make a case for those of us who have paid the DNRs way all these years. Iowa has done a great job of building an awesome deer herd and the bulk of this has been done thru the investment of resident's dollars. Now everybody wants us to share our returns. That's not exactly fair from where I sit.

Just a thought...

Everybody is airing out opinions and not really discussing what compromises might be made in order to bring all of us back on the same page. I think maybe the bill should have been written with more people in mind. The DNR should allow all NR landowners to apply for a tag by the end of January. All those that apply get accepted and are required to pay the current or an increased NR fee ( i believe an increased fee would be more appropriate for the quality of animals in Iowa). They would then take the number of tags given to the NR landowners out of the number of available NR tags for the draw. The reason this makes sense to me is that NR landowners are putting money back into Iowa in the form of property taxes, monies spent on land improvement, monies spent on people to care for their land, and monies spent on farming their land. I think that they support Iowa financially more than other NR who simply put in for a tag and then come hunt, and because of that should recieve some prefernece. Also, I believe that anyone investing the kind of money it takes to buy land are very serious hunters who care about the overall health of the wildlife here in Iowa. I feel like on a whole these individuals would tend to be more responsible hunters. I want to explain that i do not mean to say if a guy does not own land he does not care, but a guy that does has quite a bit more invested with time and money.
I know everyone here is very opinionated, but i think we would be better to discuss how we can all come together on this topic as it will not go away anytime soon. I offer these thoughts as a step for discussing how we can all make a few compromises in order to benefit the future of all of our hunting, resident and Nonresident. As was said earlier, united we stand, divided we fall...let's make a few compromises from both sides so that we can stand together on this issue.

Michael Hine

MH,

If we residents compromised as you say to non res land owners here is what WILL happen.

Some high level manager, doctor, you name it will say to themselves....man I got money to burn, I think I will go to Iowa and buy a couple of farms and screw some resident that hunted that farm for 30 years. Forget about his son, I want mine. I want to smooze my business clients with hunts so maybe I will buy 3 or 4 farms since I am guranteed a tag. You get my point. A lot of people have alot of money out their and think nothing of spending it on farms for hunting.

We have very little public land in this state. This message is not ment to offend you, just my never to be humble opnion.

I hope we can beat this back again. I have lost great land to leasing by outfitters and non residents.

I guess we will never agree on theis issue.

Top Bottom