Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent control routines

Big 55

What routines does everyone use for scent control. Specific products and results you've had would be helpful. Thanks

all natural soap at least a month prior to season has really helped me out. www.cedarbasinbathessentials.com has a special outdoor line that I have used. They even have an October special going on.
Other than soaps, I NEVER wear my camo in my truck... I always changed at least 20 ft away from my truck..

What do you wash hunting clothes in? And how do you store them between hunts?

Get any type of scent free detergent with no UV brightners and will be fine. A scent free tote/and or large ziplock type bags.

I usually try and add a few small cedar branches in as well.

We just use mostly all HS (hunter specialties). Starting with hair/body wash and then we use foot powder and deodorant. We also wash all of our clothes in dead down wind scent free detergent and use dryer sheets whenever we feel the need to tumble dry something before a hunt, but mostly line dry all of our stuff outside. Then we use dead down wind scent free spray called evolve3D i believe. Mostly all from Theisens. We also try to wear as little of our camo in our truck as possible but we do wear our under clothes. We store all of our clothes in rubbermaid totes that are wiped out and sprayed out with scent free sprays

I use all the scent away products.. I store my clothes in a tote.. I shower before every hunt but I've still been winded even with the wind in my favor. Starting to get frustrated.

In seasons past we had the same problem, so far so good this season where i don't think me or my brother have gotten winded yet, but we also have seen all mostly young bucks (nothing over 2.5) and a few mature does here and there. The real test will be in the next couple weekends

I use all the scent away products.. I store my clothes in a tote.. I shower before every hunt but I've still been winded even with the wind in my favor. Starting to get frustrated.

It also matters how often you wash your clothes and how much you sweat. I only wear a base layer on top to my stand and dress up in the stand. If your sweating and rewearing the clothes your storing its defeating the process of scent control.

I use scent free deodorant and try to avoid using any products with smell associated with it. iE hair gel and stuff like that.

I do all of above & like several company's products & also fill my bins with cedars, etc. Mash up my boots with stuff like hedge apples or manure if there's cows nearby. I don't care what anyone says, I believe natural cover scents help. Last, anything I drive to the farm or use to get to an area to park & walk (vehicle, EV ranger or my wicked cool scooter), it's wiped down before hand from head to toe. I don't want to sit in some sweaty seat or something previously covered in oil, gas, sweat or whatever manages to get into vehicles. Seat covers are scent free washed, etc. Playing the wind is #1 and nothing is 100% but sure things I think you can do to help.

Last edited:
I bought a brand new washing machine that I have in the garage and ONLY my hunting clothes get washed in it. I have never used regular detergent in this machine and it only gets used pre-season to wash my clothes. I also bought 20 pairs of brown cotton gloves and I never touch my hunting clothes with my bare hands and only use the gloves once and then wash them or hang them outside for a week or so.

Thanks for the input from everyone.. I think I'll line the bottom of my tote with some cedar chips.. I've used the fresh earth and the odorless scent away products. What's your opinions on that?

Get any type of scent free detergent with no UV brightners and will be fine. A scent free tote/and or large ziplock type bags.

I usually try and add a few small cedar branches in as well.

I do the same- I wear a separate outfit down to hunt- all my clothes including backpack is in my tote- I get changed outside and when im done it goes right back into the tote. I also put some cedar planks I cut when trimming shooting lanes in the tote I also spray down with SK gold before going out just in case- during rut I spray the bottom of my boots with buck bomb and also once im in the stand I will spray the surround branches with buck bomb in case wind swirls and that should cover anything I missed and or attract them in- in theory??

I do a lot of what has already been mentioned. Shower before every hunt that I can, take care of your clothes, etc. I will add that I keep my hair butched down pretty short all year, but especially during the season. No beards and such. Your hair will hold a ton of odor.

As an alternative to cedar branches, I like to use dry leaves from oaks to fill my tub of gear with. They must remain dry though, as you don't want any moisture/mildew problems later in the season.

If I can find droppings of any kind, preferably deer, I will rub my boots in it to cover my trail.

Do deer still wind you guys that go through all the showering and laundry stuff? I've never tried doing all that but i only hunt stands when the wind is perfect so I figured I have no need to.

I jus purchased the scent containment suit that Winke designed with cabelas this year. Washed it with all my base layers and such in scent away soap, hung it out in my trees to dry and bagged it up in my scent bag. Every hunt I shower with scent away soap, go outside and put my base layers on and drive to the spot I will hunt. Then I put the rest of my stuff on before walking in. The suit has strap suspenders to hold it on but leaving it unzipped and not wearing the top half, so I don't sweat on the way in. I put some evercalm on my boots and head in. Dress at the base of the tree and puts some more evercalm around my tree and up I go. When I'm done for night I take everything off but the base layer and head home. ALL of my clothes then sit out in the timber beside the house to dry out before its bagged back up, base layers included.

I have hunted twice in the last two HOT days and have had deer downwind for long periods of time and not even seen any of them get nervous. Last year I was just as anal about scent control, but just had carbon clothing. I know for a fact 7 does 30 yards downwind for 40 minutes would not have happened last year or any year prior. This system is absolutely amazing, its not very comfortable due to keeping ALL of the moisture inside the suit, but I will sacrifice comfort to get away with what I did last night.

Do deer still wind you guys that go through all the showering and laundry stuff? I've never tried doing all that but i only hunt stands when the wind is perfect so I figured I have no need to.

No - not really I have spooked deer from moving or what not- and who knows if there are deer that winded me before I could see them- but I cant really remember the last time I actually took the time to keep the scent away and was winded-

I hunt correct wind days as well- but I have also had mature bucks come from the opposite direction (walking with the wind) during rut and I wasn't prepared

Top Bottom