Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Control

T

thegeneral

Just wondering what some of you guys do for scent control. I am using normal hunting clothing. (no scent-blocker etc...) I plan on using non-scented laundry soap on my clothes, but am unsure as to how often I should wash them. After every hunt? Every three hunts? Any help or suggestions is appreciated! -thegeneral.

Throught out the season I was all my clothes, and any thing fabric in H.S. Scent away laundry detergent.
I throw all my clothes, my day bag and my saftey belt, in a big plastic tub, with a tight lid. I throw in a few scent waffers, natual earth, or depending on area, you could use cedar, pine, white aok.........
I field dress, and as i dress, I spray every thing down in H.S scent away. Using non scented, and natural earth scented.
Im going to start trying using H.S soaps, and shampoo's, to see if that makes a differents oo.
But last season when I did all of these preperations for scent controll, I had deer all around me, ever dirrection, and they didn't seem to be aware of me.
Good huntin
Jason

One of the main reasons I pursue the scent control routine I do is to minimize any residual scent I may leave behind after I leave my hunting area. Think about it, deer are wandering around all night long in your hunting area and if you are leaving scent behind or if they are smelling you coming in or going out, you are lessening your chances of seeing Mr. Big.

Lots of people talk about scent control only as it relates to their actual time on stand. I think it is even more important to leave no scent behind after a hunt.

I use HS products too and keep all my hunting clothes in a HS Scent Free travel bag. I use the Scent Away soaps and detergents on my clothes and body. I also go to extremes to not build up sweat on the way to the stand. I will dress very lightly for the walk and then put my "stay warm" clothes on when I am in the stand.

I believe all this reduces, but does not eliminate, my scent. I still always play the wind right, both while on stand and while coming and going. I do not believe the commercial that says to forget the wind and just hunt. Perhaps that works for others, but in my experience, older deer are more sophisticated than that. I have had young deer come up and sniff me from straight down wind, but they hadn't formed a healthy respect for a hunter yet IMO.

Being the ultimate cheapschathe I looked all over for "scent free" soap. My wife overheard me complaining about prices one day and, since she's a nurse, said "why not get a hypo allergenic/fragrance free laundry detergant in the bulk form from a department store, it's the exact same stuff. Well, I went to Wallyworld and found some fragrance free detergant and I got about 20 times as much for half the price. The brand is Tide and it worked perfectly, the day after I washed everything in the detergant I rattled in 3 very good bucks, 2 of which came in or ended up downwind and I never got winded. Combining that with some HS soap, deoderant and some supprescnet I managed to arrow one of the bucks.

Just my 2 "scents" worth.
wink.gif

General,
Throw all of your clothes in a garbage bag filled with pine needles, charcoal and pine cones. I usually do this at the end of each season and leave the bag sealed all year. During the season I use the bag to transport clothing. I also put the clothes on after I get to my hunting spot and remove them before I get into my vehicle. Also, tell Rembrandt we need to get him down to Mad County to do put up some stands.

BT

I do not take any countermeasures besides paying attention to the wind.

I pump gas in my my hunting clothes, leave them hanging around in my basement and use as much human cover up scent as possible.

The rest turns fun into work. Besides, I would rather keep my bowhunting a little bit of a challenge. But that is just me.

Have fun, and be safe.

Howdy General...

Some people spend a fortune on this new "Scent Lock" technology in hunting clothes. The principle is simple--it's activated charcoal! I can't believe that so many people look past a very inexpensive and equally effective substitute that you can find at quite a few military surplus stores. Get ahold of one of those military NBC suits. I have one that is still sealed in the plastic. Then take it to a tailor and have them line the suit so you don't get all of that nasty carbon all over you body or underclothing. It's warm and it does the same thing that the expensive Scent-Lock stuff does. I paid $20 for my new suit down at Fort Leonard Wood, MO this summer while I attended BNCOC. It even has a nice military woodland camo pattern.

I know that this isn't a direct answer to your question but it is always something that I like to throw into the ring when hunters are talking about scent control. Most of them forget to look past the Cabelas catalog.

I have went so far as to use a set of sergical gloves when climbing a tree or screwing in tree steps. No more leaving sent on the steps at ground level. It makes a world of difference. Otherwise untill I bought Scent Blocker I alway hung my clothes out after a hunt. Let it rain on them, always had a spare set of clothes that were dry in another tote with baking soda in it as well. Seem to work for me.

that's a good idea! i have 2 or 3 of those suits lying around the house. it's funny how 90% of the junk the army issues me goes toward hunting. if only they issued me a...... bow, compund w/ quiver, 1 each......every couple of years!
rockband.gif
-thegeneral

Top Bottom